file What is the plural of Kiasyd

16 Jan 2012 09:54 #20938 by Ankha
According to whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Kiasyd, the plural should be Kiasyd.
Great Symposium states:
"among one or more Kiasyds"...

What is the correct plural?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2012 12:52 #20947 by Angel74
I'd say it would remain 'Kiasyd'.

"They had forgotten the first lesson, that we are to be powerful, beautiful, and without regret." ~ Armand.

More
16 Jan 2012 13:50 #20949 by Damnans
So would I.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
16 Jan 2012 14:35 #20952 by Jeff Kuta
Interesting question.

I think there are actually quite few clans which would take an -s to create a plural:

Abominations
Ahrimanes
Assamites
Blood Brothers
Daughters of Cacophony
Followers of Set (Setites)
Gargoyles
Harbingers of Skulls
Malkavians
(but not Malkavian antitribu)

That's it. All other clans take the same word for plural as singular.

Except for Ahrimanes, Assamites, and Malkavians, the -s is easy since the word pluralized is also a common noun. IMO clan Assamite takes a plural -s since it is similar to "assassins." Not sure I can explain Ahrimanes or Malkavians, though I wish I could say for a good reason other than "English is just that way."

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
16 Jan 2012 20:25 #20975 by Juggernaut1981
Actually pluralising is not 'that' strange and its often to do with the category of the word you are trying to make plural.

1) The original word is 'uncountable'... e.g. sand. The only way to plural this category is if you are handling multiple types of sand. (You have a brown and a white sand; you have 2 sands) 'Uncountable' things often use 'much' as their 'I have heaps of this' word (e.g. I have been given much wheat. or I have much to be grateful about.)

2) The original word is 'countable'... e.g. cat. You usually make this word a plural by adding an 's' (when you don't have to worry about ending words with an s). They are fairly common and when you want to talk about different types of them, you usually need to write 'types of XYZ'. (e.g. I own three types of dog). Their 'large number' word is 'many' because you could in theory sit down and count them (where you wouldn't with 5kg of sand grains).

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
16 Jan 2012 20:32 #20976 by Pascal Bertrand
Imho, "Malkavian" is an substantified adjective, which makes it eligible for the -s plural ending.
Ventrue, Tremere, Brujah, Giovanni (which has already a plural ending), Nosferatu, .. are the name of the breeder, and are used as qualifiers. "Ventrue" == "Ventrue vampire", hence the plural: "Ventrue vampires".

However, there seems to be a flaw with Ahrimanes (who should've been "Ahrimen", just for the fun of it).

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds