file idea for vtes play question

11 Jun 2012 19:14 #32031 by gymim
So I have an idea and I want to know what others think and any ideas you may have. In regards to playing vtes with friends and/or new people I want to try something new. I want to try it like a “board game” in a sense. And by that, I mean 1 person shows up with all the cards and that there is a set group of cards that doesn’t change. The “vision” that I have is that there are 4 to 5 (already made) crypts, with each crypt being clan specific so that each crypt has vampires with common disciplines. And each crypt would have at least 1 if not 2 disciplines in common with 1 to 2 other vampire crypts. And instead of each player having their own deck, there is a universal “deck” that everyone draws from (1 giant stack of cards). The “universal” library would be 60% undisciplined cards (5% of those would be disciplined masters that are disciplines that are used the disciplined cards in the library). 40% disciplines. Of that 40% disciplines, 90% of it would be disciplines that are used by at least 2 separate crypt stacks, and the other 10% would be the disciplines that are only used by 1 crypt stack. When a player draws-up after playing a card, they can discard the card if it is a discipline they can’t use, and draw once more (up to a max of one time). Also, draft text would also be viable and playable in addition to the other text on the card.

This should make each game “new” and “fresh” as each time the library is new because of the shuffle.

Let me know what you think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2012 19:46 #32033 by Miasmat
On a somewhat related note, I used to do something like this with Magic. One guy had a bunch of cards and we'd each grab a stack of a couple hundred from a random section (the whole collection was sorted by color). Then, we'd each build a deck from our own stack, add however much land we like and give it a whirl for a few games. Kinda like a new draft event every night.

We didn't have a shared pile DURING the game, but before while building our deck. It did force us to play some normally crappy cards and revealed surprising synergies.

I wonder how your idea would work with "Look at the top card of the library" and "Search the library" type abilities. Or any of the "stack the deck" kind of abilities like Ashurs Tablet or Heart of Nizchetus.

I do really like restrictions as a means for spurring deck-building innovations.

Although disciplines make nice categorizations for this game concept, I worry that a well-designed deck is composed of many cards that support the same strategy, and "Obfuscate + Presence" isn't exactly a strategy. You'd have to be careful about what cards you throw into the mix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds