file PowerEdge: Alternative Edge Options

09 Jan 2011 04:12 #410 by Juggernaut1981
I think one of the first thing that should happen with them, is that people use them or similar versions of them in BYO Storylines. I'm going to draft up some simple artwork for them and post it on its own page on my blog.

But I'd also be happy to see people debating the way they function.

a) Do you want them to count against the library size and allow people to have any number they can fit in their library?
b) Do you want them to count against the library size and allow people to have one at most?
c) Do you want people to have the option to replace the normal edge?
d) Do you want people to have the one option in addition to the normal edge?
e) Do you want people to have many options in addition to the edge?
f) Do you want people to have many options replacing the normal edge?

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2011 04:49 #412 by salem
My criteria for additions to the game:

must be able to be done without 'official' cards, as they're not going to be printed. Someone with an unsleeved deck should be able to use the new addition if they want. so, for the edge thing, I'd say they're not part of your library. they shouldn't count against deck size. you should only have 0 or 1.

someone who doesn't know about the addition should still be able to play a game with people who do. ie: there should still be the default 'edge' functions for those without a 'power edge' card. they also shouldn't be disadvantaged, so having the 'power edge' just be roughly equivalent in power to holding the normal edge. and it should _replace_ the default edge power. otherwise those players with no knowledge of the power edges miss out on a bonus.

the 'power edge' cards should have two effects. 1 for holding on to it, 1 for use if burned. just like default. eg: if you go with the Academic Edge, something like "if you control the edge during your untap phase, you may put a card from your hand in your research area. you may burn the edge to move a card from your research area in to your hand, not usable during an action (discard afterwards)". Or something like that.

so to answer your questions:
a) no
b) no
c) yes
d) no
e) no
f) where many = 2, sure.

--
salem

More
09 Jan 2011 10:00 #416 by Joscha
I'll gladly try out the Alernative Edge Options and think this is a nice idea. Although they seem to be a bit too powerful compared to the normal Edge options. If you look at the Paranoid or the Aggressive Edge I see many ways you can exploit it to a big decree. If you compare them to the simple 'you get 1 vote in a referendum' a 'you can tap one (mid-cap+) minion to cancel a d-action against you' is harsh. But maybe it turns out in testing, that it isn't that big deal.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
09 Jan 2011 10:09 #417 by extrala

But I'd also be happy to see people debating the way they function.

a) Do you want them to count against the library size and allow people to have any number they can fit in their library?

I don't like the idea of having Edge Variations as cards (as part of the library) at all. I prefer a similar concept as for the Motivation cards.

b) Do you want them to count against the library size and allow people to have one at most?

See above.

c) Do you want people to have the option to replace the normal edge?

No.

d) Do you want people to have the one option in addition to the normal edge?

Yes.

e) Do you want people to have many options in addition to the edge?

No.

f) Do you want people to have many options replacing the normal edge?

No.

More
09 Jan 2011 11:37 #418 by Juggernaut1981

the 'power edge' cards should have two effects. 1 for holding on to it, 1 for use if burned. just like default. eg: if you go with the Academic Edge, something like "if you control the edge during your untap phase, you may put a card from your hand in your research area. you may burn the edge to move a card from your research area in to your hand, not usable during an action (discard afterwards)". Or something like that.

Thanks, that is actually helpful and I'll potentially redraft them later.

I have put drafts onto my blog and I'm glad to revise and allow others to use these drafts for their playtesting or BYO Storylines.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
11 Jan 2011 09:56 #454 by Disco_Stu
Like Salem, I think we're best concentrating on something that can be captured in a (revised) rulebook, rather than thinking about new cards. With that in mind, variant Edges wouldn't count against library size.

Depending on the desired power curve, a method of limiting the variability of effects could be to rule that a player has to choose the PowerEdge 'flavour' when they first gain the Edge (or the first time they retain it for a turn). After that, they're stuck with it - unless they lose and gain (and keep) the Edge again. That may help players better understand the game-state without too many visits to the rulebook to remember who can do what.

cheers,
Disco Stu
Prince of Melbourne

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds