file Reprinting Old Sets

17 Apr 2011 15:06 #3474 by Dervish
Reprinting Old Sets was created by Dervish
Hello All,

Some time back I asked if the expired license prevented WW/CCP reprinting old sets and there was fairly unanimous reply of yes. Given that WW/CCP can't reprint old sets, and that it is highly unlikely that a 4rd party will acquire the license, does anyone have any thoughts as to how we get older cards reprinted? Is there a chance we as a group could raise enough cash to urge CCP to reprint select older cards in 10th anniversary style sets?

The game will persist without this reprinting of course, but it would be really nice if we could keep something going, at least once a year of a few cards.

If there is a better thread on this topic elsewhere, please direct me to it!

Best
David Wilson
Ann Arbor, MI

More evidence that your deck need not be good in order to win:
thelasombra.com/decks/twd.htm#2011tottco
:THA::OBF::OBE::PRO::CHI::ravn:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2011 21:48 #3484 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Reprinting Old Sets

Is there a chance we as a group could raise enough cash to urge CCP to reprint select older cards in 10th anniversary style sets?

If CCP chose to drop the game forever, after selling-out multiple sets, and given a growing player-base and (at least American) convention scene, there is really no hope that "we as a group" can raise enough money to make reprinting any previous sets of cards a possibility.

I, too, wish this could happen. But I choose to focus my efforts elsewhere, like growing Origins, and focusing on the local player-base.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
17 Apr 2011 22:54 #3487 by Juggernaut1981
I have to agree that our best effort will be to increase the playerbase to the point where CCP will start negotiations with Hasbro over IP again.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
18 Apr 2011 00:20 #3488 by Dervish
Replied by Dervish on topic Re: Reprinting Old Sets
CCP really bills themselves as this great European game company and is 221 people in Paris last year changed no minds ... maybe you are right.

More evidence that your deck need not be good in order to win:
thelasombra.com/decks/twd.htm#2011tottco
:THA::OBF::OBE::PRO::CHI::ravn:

More
18 Apr 2011 18:04 #3509 by yafka
Replied by yafka on topic Re: Reprinting Old Sets

I have to agree that our best effort will be to increase the playerbase to the point where CCP will start negotiations with Hasbro over IP again.

Yes, this is my approach too. Try to introduce the game to new players. Generate more interest. And hope the game will come back in the future.

More
18 Apr 2011 19:04 - 18 Apr 2011 19:05 #3514 by prunesquallor
Until/unless White Wolf/CCP or WotC has an interest in getting back to the game or licensing it (don't hold your breath), I think the only way cards will ever be "in print" is through fan efforts.

What I mean is web distribution of pdf's or image files that people can download, print out, cut out, and put in a deck protectors with real cards behind the new cards.

Reprinting old cards in this way would clearly be copyright infringement, so it would have to be new cards, a "virtual expansion".

Pros :
  • This is how the star trek ccg is staying alive, they've released 3 virtual expansions so far, see www.trekcc.org/
  • Another example is a Netrunner virtual expansion, Open War, sites.google.com/site/netrunnervf/extension-open-war (page is in french, but the pdf's linked there are in English)
  • Readily accessible - Jyhad cards, deck protectors, printers and internet connections are all that's required for players; plus web distribution of the files

Cons :
  • The community can't even come to any consensus on whether Villein needs to be fixed, or how it should be fixed. Is it really feasible for enough of us to agree that all the cards in a new virtual expansion make sense and should be allowed in regular and competitive play?
  • Distributing a virtual expansion may be an infringement of various intellectual property rights (icons, rules) held by WotC and/or WW/CCP, and so whoever hosts the downloads may be at some legal risk
Last edit: 18 Apr 2011 19:05 by prunesquallor.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds