file VTES & L5R

08 Feb 2013 14:39 #45010 by Darius
VTES & L5R was created by Darius
I've been collecting TES cards out of love for the background and lore for a while now. No one around here plays it and the rule manual was very confusing to me so I never really learned how to play. I recently was taught how to play Legend of the 5 Rings and have started noticing a lot of similarities between the two, from what I know. Being split into two decks. In L5R you have the Dynasty deck (People and places) and the fate deck (Strategies and equipment). And of course the in vampire you have the crypt for vampires, and the library. L5R has followers and equipment and vampire has Retainers and weapons. They also were made by the same company (At the time) and were released pretty close to one another. To anyone that has played both how similar are they? Please know I only ask this because if they are I might have a lot easier time learning it if I had something to compare it to.

"Really, darling, you must not squirm so. It spoils the overall effect."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2013 14:40 #45011 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: VTES & L5R
I used to play L5R back around the turn of the millenium. They have similar details but are quite different games.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
08 Feb 2013 15:01 #45012 by Ylly
Replied by Ylly on topic Re: VTES & L5R
They are actually quite far from each other. Whilst VTES is about multiplayer, L5R is for 2 players by default (of course there are multiplayer rules, too). VTES ousts the prey via reducing his/her pool (exceptions are very rare). L5R has 4 winning options each leading to a different strategy of offense and defense. You can imagine L5R as a more complicated Magic: the Gathering with more layers to it and more possibilities. L5R is the most complicated, but also quite fun, TCG for 2 people I have played. However, the social aspect and even much more variations in building decks in VTES favors VTES in my eyes. L5R is definitely worth trying. If you managed to learn VTES rules, you will be able to leran L5R quite smoothly.

More
08 Feb 2013 15:20 #45015 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: VTES & L5R

They also were made by the same company (At the time).

You're wrong. Alderac did L5R. WoTC bougfht it at some moment and resold it to Alderac at some other time, but neither WoTC nor Garfield have something to do with L5R.

Apart from that, L5R, more than magic, show a lot of the mistake I hope will not be done with VtES:
* card pool changing way too much. There is no staple in L5R, the game evolve too much.
* rampant rule insecurity. Just look at the number of time dueling changed.
* too much cancelation effect. There actually anti-cancellation meta, and the occasional anti-anti-cancellation card.

In fact, I stopped L5R some time after the gold because of thoses problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ylly

More
08 Feb 2013 15:41 - 08 Feb 2013 15:42 #45020 by Ylly
Replied by Ylly on topic Re: VTES & L5R

* card pool changing way too much. There is no staple in L5R, the game evolve too much.
* rampant rule insecurity. Just look at the number of time dueling changed.
* too much cancelation effect. There actually anti-cancellation meta, and the occasional anti-anti-cancellation card.

true.
in 2 years time, the metagame, all the cards, everything is changed. including the rules. the fluctuation of cards is too high for an occasional player. if you want to try L5R, go for a fun deck and refresh it with new cards from time to time. I would never think of tournament playing...
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 15:42 by Ylly.

More
08 Feb 2013 17:44 - 08 Feb 2013 17:46 #45029 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: VTES & L5R

In fact, I stopped L5R some time after the gold because of thoses problems.

Same for me. I stopped buying the moment I heard about the next cycle after Gold Edition being yet another full reset, and even breaking the Open format by changing several core rules and concepts.

Early on the Jade, Jade Extended was by far the most common tournament format with Open rising in popularity throughout the Jade cycle. Those I liked. Then when Gold came around suddenly all tournaments were Gold strict.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 17:46 by jhattara.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds