file Getting into the game!

17 Jun 2011 20:46 #5279 by Damnans
Replied by Damnans on topic Re: Getting into the game!

Thanks for the input - I agree with what prunesquallor is saying, but I'm glad I was given a heads up.

If I buy the two starter boxes, would I be able to simple mix the decks from the two together as I see fit to make em better? Or are the starters in them pretty linear?

Max

In my opinion, mixing starter decks is the way to go to if you want to build a decent deck right away at a very low cost.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2011 20:58 #5280 by MaxO
Replied by MaxO on topic Re: Getting into the game!
So I should get 1 of each? I'm being told different things haha

More
17 Jun 2011 21:01 #5281 by brandonsantacruz

Thanks for the input - I agree with what prunesquallor is saying, but I'm glad I was given a heads up.

If I buy the two starter boxes, would I be able to simple mix the decks from the two together as I see fit to make em better? Or are the starters in them pretty linear?

Max

-edit- thanks for the list of cards, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the game for it to really make a difference!

I find many starters to be complementary. Brujah and Brujah Antitribu have the same "disciplines," which are basically kinds of powers derived from one's vampiric lineage. Starters have, pound for pound, more of the basic things you need to get started. To a new player, they are a good deal. To an older player with a big collection, they buy it mainly for the vampires.

Here's what some people do with starters to make decks when they are in a creative mood:

www.thelasombra.com/dbc/dbc.htm

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
17 Jun 2011 21:11 #5283 by prunesquallor
For the starters, the DE site sells a set of 4 decks for just over half the price of a full starter box, so given that, I'd suggest something along these lines :
- 1 box 3rd starters + 1 box 3rd boosters
or
- 1 set of 3rd starters, 1 set of KoT starters, 1 box 3rd boosters
or
- 1 box 3rd starters, 1 box KoT starters, 1 box 3rd boosters

I wouldn't just buy starter decks - they really are starters, and although they have some great cards, they also have some substandard ones that you'll be better off without. Getting some boosters will give you a variety of oddball and interesting cards to get you thinking about decks, and also get you some of the commons that are better than ones in the starters.

More
18 Jun 2011 04:46 #5287 by LunaSlave
Another thing to consider is what the local playgroup is like. How many people play regularly in your area? If games aren't frequent or if you're not too sure about the local scene, you might want to start with simply a starter or two to try out the game.

More
18 Jun 2011 08:53 #5296 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Getting into the game!

If it is indeed someone's collection, it seems a good price.

I agree.
Since it is not just commons (which are BTW in this game the most useful cards in majority of instances) I'd say you have a good chance of getting nice stack of cards to begin with.

If it is from a collection of a player that started in the early days of the game then parhaps there are some odds and ends that are near impossible to get ahold of otherwise?

You sure can suplement this collection with starters if need be.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds