file a thought on titles

31 Oct 2014 02:10 #67084 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Re: a thought on titles

Independant are too varied for a single set of title I believe. For example, a FoS czar feel strange.

on the face of things, i honestly don't disagree, and from a fluff/background perspective i will grant that it makes sense. From a straight-up game mechanics perspective is where I struggle, because it seems counter-intuitive. You've got Primogen, Prince, Justicar, and Inner Circle for Camarilla; Bishop, Archbishop, Priscus, Cardinal, and Regent for Sabbat; Magaji and Kholo for the Laibon; Baron for Anarchs, and... nothing that supports that system for the Independents.

Plus it would make some more keywords to learn.

tell you what: I'll trade you... Cold Iron Vulnerability and... Red List for it. Tightening up the mechanics and making them more consistent should count for something.I'd honestly offer more, but i would fear that making change would be problematic

No. VTES is based on WoD - see whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade

I'm going to go forward with the assumption that you feel you make this statement because you think i'm ignorant of the setting, genuinely and without malice wanting to educate me as to all of the varied and sundry glories of the background.

I assure you that such intentions are as flattering as they are unnecessary. I'm not going to claim a deep and profound understanding of all the subtle nuances, but i feel as though i've got the basics under my belt.

Because these aren't independent titles.

Prince is a Camarilla title. Priscus is a Sabbat title. Ventrue Justicar is a Camarilla title and a Ventrue title. If you become Sabbat while a Prince, your Prince title goes inert(*). If you become Toreador while you are Ventrue Justicar, your Ventrue Justicar title goes inert.

The titles printed on Independent vampires are not tied to clan or sect. They are simply a property of that vampire. If Jamal (Assamites, 2 votes) becomes Camarilla, he still has a 2 vote title; it does not go inert. If Nehsi (Setite, 2 votes) becomes Sasbbat, the title does not go inert.

(*) Inert = will come back if you change back, but isn't there for other purposes except basically: 1) if someone else gains your inert title, you immediately yield without contesting and 2) if you gain a new title, your inert one is completely gone.

I'm not sure if you're being pedantic or willfully obtuse, but you do bring up a better point than anyone else and i respect that.

but... so what?

how many times have you seen in an actual game an independent vampire that has votes change sects? In all of those times that you've seen an independent vampire (titled) change sects, how many of those times did it actually matter in any significant way? If that particular mechanic were so vital, we can change the passage in the rulebook:
"Some Independent vampires may start with votes, as listed on card text. Treat these vampires as if they had titles of their own." to: "Independent Vampires with titles do not lose their titles if they should change their sect." AND JUST GIVE INDEPENDENT VAMPIRES TITLES!

i realize that from a background and fluff perspective the idea fits about as well as Jupiter does into a teacup.
I get that. but one of the Big Complaints about the game is that it's Confusing and Complicated! and that drives off all of the new players!

we can sit here and bicker about nomenclature (it's pretty much what we do best), but as it stands Independent vamps with votes are inconsistent with every other kind vamps with votes. if there were more (or any for that matter) cam/sabbat vamps that had votes and phantom titles outside of their purveiw that the independents are required to, it'd be a harder sell.

For me, i can suspend disbelief enough if the abstraction makes sense in the rules. "yes, Independent vamps have all kinds of wacky and zany titles amongst themselves, but they fall into X, Y, and Z, categories of power and for game terms, &c and yadda yadda.

I've temporarily run out of steam for this argument, so i will take a small bow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2014 06:08 - 31 Oct 2014 06:10 #67087 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: a thought on titles

on the face of things, i honestly don't disagree, and from a fluff/background perspective i will grant that it makes sense. From a straight-up game mechanics perspective is where I struggle, because it seems counter-intuitive. You've got Primogen, Prince, Justicar, and Inner Circle for Camarilla; Bishop, Archbishop, Priscus, Cardinal, and Regent for Sabbat; Magaji and Kholo for the Laibon; Baron for Anarchs, and... nothing that supports that system for the Independents.

Yes, because independants are ... independants. They aren't a single group unlike all thoses things you cited. Setites, assamites, giovannis and ravnos constitute mostly four different mini-sectes, there is a couple of other, even smaller congregation, and I kind of remember ravnos to have *two* very different organizations depending on whether they are in India or Europa.

how many times have you seen in an actual game an independent vampire that has votes change sects? In all of those times that you've seen an independent vampire (titled) change sects, how many of those times did it actually matter in any significant way?

I remember it being used often enough for anarch decks.

In conclusion, I think what you want to address is not a problem, because the current way is flavorful, easy to remember, and work well. And (2 votes) on a Setites make more sense than (czar) for me.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2014 06:10 by Ohlmann.

More
31 Oct 2014 07:19 #67089 by a-e
Replied by a-e on topic Re: a thought on titles

In conclusion, I think what you want to address is not a problem, because the current way is flavorful, easy to remember, and work well. And (2 votes) on a Setites make more sense than (czar) for me.

Actually, what I have encountered regarding new players and titles, they do tend to ask all the time how many votes is Justicar or Bishop or what ever title. None has ever asked how many votes is 2 votes (titled).

Marko, Prince of Helsinki
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
31 Oct 2014 10:36 - 31 Oct 2014 10:36 #67092 by HG.fi
Replied by HG.fi on topic Re: a thought on titles

why is it that we don't have independent titles? instead we have in the text box of independent vampires "Jerkface has two votes (titled)." it seems like a super roundabout way of coming to a conclusion. why not just come up with 'independent' titles?

LSJ wrote a very good answer to this very question back in the day.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2014 10:36 by HG.fi. Reason: Typos
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, Lönkka, self biased

More
31 Oct 2014 12:10 #67097 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Re: a thought on titles

why is it that we don't have independent titles? instead we have in the text box of independent vampires "Jerkface has two votes (titled)." it seems like a super roundabout way of coming to a conclusion. why not just come up with 'independent' titles?

LSJ wrote a very good answer to this very question back in the day.

I'm on my phone right now, and that link just bounces me to the main Google groups page. Will check it out when I get home from work

More
31 Oct 2014 18:09 #67104 by ReverendRevolver

Actually, what I have encountered regarding new players and titles, they do tend to ask all the time how many votes is Justicar or Bishop or what ever title. None has ever asked how many votes is 2 votes (titled).

If we ever get printed, we should include a feature on "starter" oriented sets where named titles get reminder tect inprenthesis. Like
Prince of Seatle(2votes)
Bishop(1vote)
Regent(4votes)

Then hell if I know for Priscus(3votes, must be voted on my all ready vampires with this title to use)

Yea, lets do a Cam starter set. Screw the Prisci block......

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds