file VEKN New Player Section

30 Oct 2015 18:33 - 30 Oct 2015 18:36 #73960 by brettscho
So I recently got permission to start working on a "New Player Section" for the VEKN site. I'm hoping that this will be a resource that will let interested people learn more about the game and acquaint them to the various resources that the VEKN has to offer. I hope to also include an article about how to play the game, some beginner deck suggestions, a deck building primer, and a tutorial on how to get started with online play.

An example of what I'm hoping to build can be found here . It's the new player page for the old Decipher Star Wars CCG. It does a great job of including a lot of relevant information for new players, and providing links to additional resources.

Anyway, below I've listed an outline of what I'm thinking about putting together, but I need your help - what would you like to see included in this section? If you were new to VTES, what would you need to know, and how could we provide that information quickly and easily to you? Please post your suggestions! Let's turn the VEKN site into a new player-friendly site!

Beginners Area on VEKN
1. Why VTES is awesome, and why you should play it.
  • Short introduction to the theme of the game, and some of the selling points (designed by Richard Garfield to correct problems in Magic, based on Vampire: the Masquerade, etc)

2. Basic information about the game:
  • Jyhad vs VTES
  • Crypt Groups – special emphasis on how to tell group 1 and 2 apart.
  • 3rd Edition card backs
  • digital sets and how to play with them
  • online play – with link to online play tutorials

3. How do I get started with the game?
  • The best way to learn the game is to have a current player explain it to you. Contact your local prince (link) and ask if they would schedule a demo for you.
  • Check out this new article (I'll write this later) describing the different types of cards, iconography and such, along with a condensed rules summary, and links to Ke's turn reference sheet.
  • Check out Gentleman's Guide to Gaming, and his awesome set of movies (links).

4. How do I find people to play with?
  • Link to prince list
  • Online play – link to page about how it works, hopefully it will include a tutorial for Lackey and JOL written by somebody who actually knows how they work (so not me!).
  • Check out the calendar to see if there are any tournaments scheduled in your area.

5. How do I get cards?
  • Some players have cards set aside to either give or sell very cheaply to new players, so don't be shy about asking around your local play group.
  • Go through card retailers like I did on my blog.
  • Suggest David Tatu's player support kit, or just a box of starters (Third Edition or Black Hand). Also, Blood Shadow Court is an awesome way to cheaply get vampires – suggest buying 2, so that you have 2 copies of all 100 vampires!
  • Ebay, and thriving secondary market. Maybe links to some secondary card retailors.
  • New Print-and-Play expansions are a quick and easy way to expand your collection.

6. What are some good starter decks that I can try out?
  • Links to the Barbed Wire Project, VTES ONE's Reasonably Priced Decks, and my Demo Deck Series. Perhaps others?

7. How do I go about building my first deck?
  • Links to a primer on deck building. Maybe I'll get some info from The Lasombra's website (go, go Way Back Machine!)
  • Discussions about popular deck builders – I only use Secret Library, are there other good ones out there?

8. Other Resources:
  • Can't think of any now, but I'm sure that some will come up!

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2015 18:36 by brettscho.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2015 18:35 - 30 Oct 2015 18:35 #73961 by brettscho
Here is my first crack at an introduction. It's a bit long, so I welcome comments about how to trim it! I'm also planning on changing the Boardgamegeek description for VTES to this. Let me know what you think and how I should change it!

Vampire: the Eternal Struggle (or VTES) is a multi-player collectable card game based on the award-winning Vampire: the Masquerade role playing game in which players take on the role of ancient vampires known as a Methuselahs. Considered mere legend by many, Methuselahs rule everything from the shadows, engaging in a eons-long Machiavellian conflict that encompasses political, social, and even physical warfare. The struggle is won or lost based on the actions taken by your minions – younger vampires who unknowingly do your bidding. In this way, the game can allow for deep and immersive storytelling as your minions purchase equipment, hire retainers, or call political referendums all in the services of your dark plots.

VTES was the second card game designed by Richard Garfield (designer of Magic the Gathering, Netrunner, and other games). It lacks many of Magic's biggest flaws – for example, VTES players do not need to include resource or mana cards in their decks – while providing a gameplay experience more in keeping with a boardgame than typical card games. As a result, VTES is usually played by 4 or 5 players and games can last up to 2 hours.

Unlike most multi-player games, players in VTES do not engage in a free-for-all. Each player directs their attacks to the player on their left (their “prey”) and defends against the player on their right (their “predator”). You gain victory points by eliminating or “ousting” your prey from the game, in which case the next player to the left becomes your new prey. This sets up one of the most unique social aspects of the game: you and the player two seats to the left have a common enemy (your prey is their predator), which means you may work together for a time. But if your ally helps you too much, they may find that you are their new predator, transforming you from co-conspirator to deadly threat.

VTES is also a resource management game. Each player begins with 30 points of influence called “pool” that Methuselahs hold dearer than unlife itself. If you run out of pool, you are ousted from the game. But this pool is also the way that you sway vampires to your cause. Each turn you have the opportunity to spend your pool to seduce a vampire. Weak fledgling vampire are easily swayed, but the older more powerful ones require convincing, which may take you multiple turns to accomplish. Once a vampire is converted to your side, all the pool you spent on them becomes blood possessed by this vampire, which can be spent to play cards that allow them to activate their unique vampiric powers. Each minion must manage their blood and you must manage your pool – spending more provides you with additional minions, but brings you one step closer to being ousted. Under- or over- investing in your minions may well cost you the game.

Although VTES is no longer officially supported by White Wolf, it is still played and enjoyed by players around the world. Tournaments still draw large groups of attendees, and some continental championships see more than 100 players attend. The game is currently supported by a player-run organization called Vampire Elder Kindred Network which continues to actively support the game by releasing digital expansions featuring new professional artwork. Visit VEKN.net to find out more about the game and connect with players in your area.

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2015 18:35 by brettscho.

More
30 Oct 2015 19:03 #73962 by brandonsantacruz
I like the intro but I would cut out a lot of the introduction to the mechanics and put it in its own section.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
30 Oct 2015 20:56 #73964 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: VEKN New Player Section

It lacks many of Magic's biggest flaws

I'd use another verb, probably "fixes". Otherwise, the rest is good.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
01 Nov 2015 16:59 #73997 by brettscho
Sounds good - I'll make both of those changes. Anybody have feedback on the outline? What do you want to see in the beginner section?

More
01 Nov 2015 20:39 #74004 by TheLich
Replied by TheLich on topic Re: VEKN New Player Section
It's interesting how much like your example starts off like the one I was preparing to use for my YouTube tutorial series I was about to start...

V:TES is Vampire the Eternal Struggle, a Trading Card Game create by the famous Magic the Gathering designer, Richard Garfield. V:TES takes place in White Wolf's World of Darkness, a place where Vampires, Werewolves, Magic, and many other mythical creatures coexist with modern day humanity. In V:TES you take the role of an ancient and powerful vampire known as a Methuselah and you try to oust any Methuselah who would impede the spread of your power and influence. You do this by using a resource known as pool. Pool represents assets, powers, and influence you have over the world around you. You will begin a game of V:TES with 30 pool and without pool you have no stake in the The Eternal Struggle.

V:TES is designed as a multi-player game where the spread of their power attempts to spread forward into the domain of another Methuselah. This Methuselah will be the player located clockwise from your seat (left) and who is referred to you as your Prey. You are that Methuselah's Predator, seeking to drain him of his pool and leave him to the wastes. However, to your right will exist a Predator with the same goal. To represent this, players earn one victory point throughout the game each time their Prey is Ousted (reduced to zero pool). As you Oust players the next player to your right will become your new Prey and likewise you will become their predator. In addition, you will receive 6 Pool as a bonus for successfully Ousting your Prey.

To accomplish this you will influence Vampires, Werewolves, Ghouls, Mages, and other powerful creatures of the World of Darkness to help you achieve your goals. It would be quite dangerous for such a powerful creature to walk the world, so instead they use their influence to bleed the resources of their foes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brettscho, Rémi

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds