lightbulb Changing the European Championship Qualifications systems

16 Dec 2016 12:01 #79588 by Lönkka

I like the idea of a tournament season, and when the finale of that season has concluded, players start at equal ground again.

I might be wrong on this but I seem to remember that he current system we've been using already gives the Day 2 finalists qualification to the next year's EC.

So much for equal ground, eh?

(I'm more than fine with this, if you have enough chops to be on EC's Day 2 final it is more than highly likely you would be qualifying anyways later on...)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
19 Dec 2016 09:25 #79602 by TapeTaChatte

If you want my personal opinion, I would love to see a multi qualifying tournament for day 2:
-> 5 people automatically qualify from being in last year's EC final
-> 5 people automatically qualify from being in last year's FCQ final
-> 5 people automatically qualify from winning Grand prix during the year
(those 15 people don't have to play on friday)
-> 10 people quality for being finalists on Friday.

Currently there has been only 1 Grad Prix, but what if there are multiple in the future?

Why make Grand Prix so special?

Why downplay EC Qualifiers`s?
(yeah, some have ridiculously low attendance, but I'm used to having 42-93 people participating in the Finnish ECQ)

The idea is to promote 5 Grand Prix (they would probably be 5 major tournaments, probably would include Ropecon for example, hoping to get 50+ players on each) to structure the season to the EC

Still, I'd like to find a good way to keep ECQ attractive. Any thoughts on that?

IC Organized play coordinator
Please contact me with any OP query using the mail in my profile

More
19 Dec 2016 10:28 #79604 by Vlad
Imho to keep an interest in ECQ we should add the Finalists to the qualified players, ie either you score a GW or you are among the first five (before dropping outs) then you are qualified for the next EC.

Pentex Board of Directors

Prince of Oye Plage
Alastor Grand Nord

:gang:

:ani: :cel: :chi: :FOR: :PRO:

More
19 Dec 2016 12:18 #79606 by elotar
How I see the conditions of the "puzzle":

1. Make EC an open event
2. Give the guys who got just 2 days chance to win
3. Retain some meaning in LCQ and ECQ tournaments
4. Bigger tournaments must be more "valuable" than small ones (qualifications for the finalists of 10 people ECQ looks not so good)

My solution: Make all tournaments work as qualification for day 2 together.

As an example (not the final one):

- day 1 works as usual, but is open
- winners of GP or national got +1 GW to day 1 result
- winners of LCQ, ECQ and other finalists of the nationals got +1 GW to day 1 result (but no more than one from all sources)
- GW at LCQ, ECQ, GP or wins at other tournaments give +1 VP to day 1 result

So each GW moves you closer to day 2, but you still can just drive to day 1, win couple of tables and qualify to day 2.

You can beat this system by grinding several GP and/or nationals wins, but yea... :evil:

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
19 Dec 2016 20:00 - 19 Dec 2016 20:03 #79610 by cordovader

If you want my personal opinion, I would love to see a multi qualifying tournament for day 2:
-> 5 people automatically qualify from being in last year's EC final
-> 5 people automatically qualify from being in last year's FCQ final
-> 5 people automatically qualify from winning Grand prix during the year
(those 15 people don't have to play on friday)
-> 10 people quality for being finalists on Friday.

Currently there has been only 1 Grad Prix, but what if there are multiple in the future?

Why make Grand Prix so special?

Why downplay EC Qualifiers`s?
(yeah, some have ridiculously low attendance, but I'm used to having 42-93 people participating in the Finnish ECQ)

The idea is to promote 5 Grand Prix (they would probably be 5 major tournaments, probably would include Ropecon for example, hoping to get 50+ players on each) to structure the season to the EC

Still, I'd like to find a good way to keep ECQ attractive. Any thoughts on that?

Since it is being complicated to maintain a high attendance to tournaments in general, I would personally prefer to see 5 big GP + EC + the regular national tournaments. IMHO, if the new format of EC day 1 is open, I don't see much interest in maintaining ECQs.

I would do in total 4 different Grand Prix in the season (regions to be determined).

My proposition:

-Friday:
Draft EC or another fun event (like multi-deck, or something unusual) to don't penalize people not being able to escape their jobs.

-Saturday:
Day 1 open, everyone can participate

-Sunday:
Day 2 with last year's finalists + winners of previous GP automatically qualified (rewarding continuity in performance)
European Cup - a final where the non finalists that did the best accumulated performance between Day 1 and Day 2 can participate (not necessarily with the same decks) - play the player, not the deck!
European GP (this makes the 5th GP) - the GP of GPs, the winner is automatically qualified for next years Day 2

This would make 1 final on Friday, 1 final on Saturday, 3 finals on Sunday!

1 draft EC champion
1 EO (European Open) champion
1 European Cup champion
1 European GP champion
1 EC champion
Last edit: 19 Dec 2016 20:03 by cordovader.

More
21 Dec 2016 16:31 #79653 by Vlad
When will the decision be taken and made public ?

Happy holidays everyone !!!

Pentex Board of Directors

Prince of Oye Plage
Alastor Grand Nord

:gang:

:ani: :cel: :chi: :FOR: :PRO:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds