file Ghoul retainer

25 Feb 2017 04:30 #80842 by TwoRazorReign
Ghoul retainer was created by TwoRazorReign
Has anybody read the text for Ghoul Retainer lately? It's a real mess:

Ghoul Retainer
Ghoul with 2 life. 1 strength.
During the initial strike resolution each round, the Ghoul Retainer inflicts 1 damage or may use a weapon not used by the employing minion (or another retainer) that round (either before or after). This is not a strike, although it does count as "using" the weapon.

Wouldn't it just be easier if the bolded text above said "or may inflict an amount of damage that a weapon on the employing minion would inflict" and call it a day? The current text has the same issues with implementation that Seeds of Corruption had, which was recently banned because of those issues. Ghoul Retainer just brings up way too many convoluted interactions. I realize the rewrite above isn't quite the same as what the card was designed to do, but how else would one fix this mess of card text?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2017 12:56 #80850 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Ghoul retainer
Are you sure it's a pressing problem?

Obviously you can't go with your solution because it'll allow retainer to use one shot weapons like bomb multiple times.

I think the first step, if it's really needed, will be to remove "not a strike" clause.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
25 Feb 2017 15:03 #80851 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic Ghoul retainer

Obviously you can't go with your solution because it'll allow retainer to use one shot weapons like bomb multiple times.

I think the first step, if it's really needed, will be to remove "not a strike" clause.

Well, it's sloppy text that leads to problems with implementation. I consider this to be a problem.

So, for the ghoul retainer to do 5 environmental damage during strike resolution, you have to employ the ghoul retainer, equip the bomb, and play anti-s:ce to make sure the damage lands. And there's still fortitude to deal with. Not sure I buy that this would be too powerful. Isn't potence combat still more effective than the above scenario?

More
25 Feb 2017 21:12 #80855 by elotar

Well, it's sloppy text that leads to problems with implementation. I consider this to be a problem.

So, for the ghoul retainer to do 5 environmental damage during strike resolution, you have to employ the ghoul retainer, equip the bomb, and play anti-s:ce to make sure the damage lands. And there's still fortitude to deal with. Not sure I buy that this would be too powerful. Isn't potence combat still more effective than the above scenario?

Don't know will it be too powerful or not, but it totally will be stupid.

More
25 Feb 2017 22:07 #80856 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic Ghoul retainer
Probably. But the text will make sense. That's important.

More
26 Feb 2017 07:16 #80859 by elotar

Probably. But the text will make sense. That's important.

By changing effect to stupid one you are not adding much sense to the card. :P

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds