file Mulligans in VTES?

18 Jul 2018 21:07 #88997 by Cat_in_Exile
Replied by Cat_in_Exile on topic Mulligans in VTES?

It would change ratios, but I don't think as wildly as you're assuming. In a 90 card deck, you would still want to run a lot of a card you really want to see early, and are not at all guaranteed for it to happen.

Each copy of a card in a 90 card deck is about 1.1% chance of drawing, which increases as each card is drawn (though by very small margins). One copy of a card in a 60 card deck starts at a 1.5% chance of drawing (increasing to 1.8% by the seventh card). A full-shuffle mulligan wouldn't increase those odds at all, but simply reset your chances of drawing. You're really just giving a chance to avoid a bad draw or draw the combo.

I believe even small changes can have a big effect in the aggregate, though.

If that combo is important to fire off early, you should need to devote the resources towards getting it to work consistently, because some combos can be powerful. With mulligans, your limited space becomes less limited.

Look, I'll be the first to admit I'm quite conservative when it comes to rule changes, so take that for what it's worth, but my view comes from my experiences with fan mods in other games, which are (again, IMO) almost always poor. And that's how I view many of these rule change discussion threads that have popped up lately.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2018 21:08 - 18 Jul 2018 21:53 #88998 by Cat_in_Exile
Replied by Cat_in_Exile on topic Mulligans in VTES?
Duplicate post (somehow?)
Last edit: 18 Jul 2018 21:53 by Cat_in_Exile.

More
18 Jul 2018 21:45 #89000 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Mulligans in VTES?

...In a 90 card deck...

This is where you are doing things wrong :P

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
18 Jul 2018 22:00 #89002 by Sambomb
Replied by Sambomb on topic Mulligans in VTES?
costing pool and reducing the handsize , why not?

Default 30 pool, 7 handsize
1st mulligan, 28 pool, 5 handsize
2nd mulligan, 26 pool, 4 handsize
3rd mulligan, 24 pool, 3 handsize

Increase the handsize by 1 each discard phase

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

More
19 Jul 2018 09:49 #89022 by kombainas
Replied by kombainas on topic Mulligans in VTES?
How about alternative proposal? Mulligan would drastically change deck building. How about adding a Heart of Cheating kind of option to discard phase for 1 or 2 cards?

Con: extra rule
Pro: increases viability for combo or toolbox decks.

Essentially you have double the chance to get a correct tool under pressure, when your tools are limited, but do not have to hurt your lategame by discarding something you will need later and have few if any multiples of (also important for new players with limited library and increasing deck variety). It helps all decks, in some way, but imho just actually makes game smoother in terms of how effective you are with whatever deck you play.

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.

More
19 Jul 2018 10:10 #89025 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Mulligans in VTES?

There are Wider View for the crypt, Deal with the Devil for the library and a thread hear some time ago about best ways to get rid of spare masters.

;)

Mulligans break deck construction in a half - you should aim for a completely different card ratios in such environment.

One of the rare instances where I agree completely with Elotar.

No. Just no to Mulligans!

With the current system you occasionally get screwed especially with Library but with Mulligans you could way more easily play degenerate star decks with noticeably lower ratio of the star minion and be guaranteed to get it out.

I like the current system where if you need to increase the amount of those cards you want to have in your opening hand thus affecting the balance of the deck building as a price.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus, Khalid1988, Ratadin, Ezra, Snodig

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds