lightbulb New keyword: "Defeated" (if opposing minion isn't ready...)

25 Sep 2019 21:15 - 25 Sep 2019 23:12 #97139 by LivesByProxy
Title^

"Defeated" would mean: "if the opposing minion is not ready / leaves the ready region"

Thinking of the card Rampage, and how I would make it not wallpaper:

Rampage!
Action :action:
:pot: (D) Burn a location. This minion gets +1 strength for this action.
:POT: As above, and if the blocking minion (if any) is defeated, the action continues.

Shadow Boxing at superior becomes: If the blocking vampire is defeated, the acting vamp burns 1 blood to continue the action.

Matasuntha (:gang: :cap10: cap) would read: "Whenever Matasuntha defeats a minion, gain 1 pool."

Thoughts?
(inb4 "oh no! not more keywords! keywords bad!")

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2019 23:12 by LivesByProxy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2019 21:54 #97140 by Kushiel
What problem would this solve?

More
25 Sep 2019 22:27 #97141 by LivesByProxy
Less card text in the text box. That's what keywords are for.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
26 Sep 2019 01:49 #97142 by CrazyCatTim
Regular reader, infrequent poster. I've been playing VTES for just over a year now, and have been playing regularly, and have introduced a small handful of other players to the game. Let me tell you, text in the text box is a feature, not a flaw of VTES. I've played a lot of other L/CCGs, and the fact that I'm able to understand what almost all of the VTES cards do by reading the text of the card, and I don't have to go hunting through the rulebook, is one of the major reasons why the game is so noob friendly.

I get that if you've been playing the game for 25 years, you don't need reminder text, and can internalize keywords. If you're a new player, it's the opposite. Read the card and you don't have to go flipping through a glossary to remind myself what a keyword does. I don't see having text on cards as a drawback - quite the opposite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kushiel, Ankha, Kraus, Yomyael

More
26 Sep 2019 05:22 #97143 by Stéphane81
I agree with CrazyCatTim. I'm a newbe and searching for the value of the titles during referendum is the most boring thing about this game. I'm ok to refine card text but not if I have to go through the rulebook to do so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kushiel, Kraus

More
26 Sep 2019 08:56 #97145 by Tadori
While i agree that key words are more confusing for beginners, when you will get used to the game you will appreciate that clarity and lack of rules interpretation they bring to the game.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds