file Returning Player after 20 years, some questions

28 Aug 2022 23:49 #106175 by Gillywonka
Hi folks, I just got back into VTES after 20 years and bought the 5e starter box and I have a few questions I was hoping you all can help me with. I just started reading the rules

*I have cards from the Jyhad and Vampire base sets along with cards from booster packs of Dark Sovereigns, Ancient Hearts, Ebony Kingdom and Sword of Cain. Can I still use these older cards? I know i'd have to do some research to see what cards are banned or what has changed in them, etc.

*The 5e starter set has premade decks. I'd like to eventually make my own deck. Are there booster packs I can buy or how does it work with this new 5th edition?

Thank you all in advance. Looking really forward to playing again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2022 13:47 - 29 Aug 2022 16:14 #106186 by Bloodartist

Hi folks, I just got back into VTES after 20 years and bought the 5e starter box and I have a few questions I was hoping you all can help me with. I just started reading the rules

*I have cards from the Jyhad and Vampire base sets along with cards from booster packs of Dark Sovereigns, Ancient Hearts, Ebony Kingdom and Sword of Cain. Can I still use these older cards? I know i'd have to do some research to see what cards are banned or what has changed in them, etc.

*The 5e starter set has premade decks. I'd like to eventually make my own deck. Are there booster packs I can buy or how does it work with this new 5th edition?

Thank you all in advance. Looking really forward to playing again.

All old cards are still tournament-legal. (apart from the ones that are banned, see later)
However they may have received errata, ie. their cardtext may have changed. Especially in regards to Jyhad cards.
The latest version of cardtext is readable from cardlists link on this site
www.vekn.net/images/stories/downloads/cardlist.txt

Note that on the bottom of cardlists page there is also a list of banned cards, which are banned from tournament play. www.vekn.net/card-lists/234-banned-cards

Currently all new product is released as preconstructed decks or bundles. There is no card randomization in these, so you always know what you will get. You can check the contents from black chantry website among other things.
www.blackchantry.com/products/

edit: Theres also been some changes to basic rules, but unfortunately there is no place where all these changes have been collected.. I recommend going through the rulebook pdf on black chantry site linked above.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 29 Aug 2022 16:14 by Bloodartist.

More
30 Aug 2022 03:03 #106190 by Gillywonka
Thank you. This was very helpful!!

More
30 Aug 2022 07:18 #106192 by lip
If looking through the CSV for cards text hurts, you can also check the latest official cards texts on the Codex or on VDB

More
30 Aug 2022 08:26 #106196 by Lönkka

Currently all new product is released as preconstructed decks or bundles. There is no card randomization in these, so you always know what you will get. You can check the contents from black chantry website among other things.
www.blackchantry.com/products/

Do note that plenty of cards are also available as Print on Demand from Drivethroughcards. Which is awesome is you are located in the USA. If not, the shipping and importing is unfortunately going to cost quite a lot.

The PoD cards include quite a lot of so called legacy cards which are not found in printed products, so Drivethrough is the only way to get them. Black Chantry continuously keeps on adding to the cards available via PoD.

www.drivethrucards.com/browse/pub/12056/Black-Chantry-Productions

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds