file New Player Guide / Cheatsheet

03 Jul 2015 01:59 - 03 Jul 2015 08:12 #71917 by Ke.
Hello all,

Have had a couple of new players join and one of the things they struggled with the most was turn and combat sequencing. Including things like when to play an action vs an action modifier or even a reaction card.

So I put together a cheat sheet / new player guide which is clear and doesn't contain too much noise. It's not meant to be a replacement for the rules, but it should be enough for a new player to get up to speed with the core mechanics of the game and when to do what.

Am open to feedback, typos or spelling errors. As previously mentioned not every rule is here and I would expect the play group to fill players in on the finer details of the game. But hopefully these will help.

High quality A3 PDF: db.tt/x8Sp5wdV (11MB — recommended)

High quality A4 PDF: db.tt/eToTCTHk (11MB — two sheets)

150 DPI Images:

A3: db.tt/jxPGZCMh

A4: db.tt/2GtdDHAz and db.tt/Tx1dDhdj

Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 08:12 by Ke..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2015 04:36 #71922 by Ankha
Sheet 1:
  • I'd write "You" rather than "What you do", to keep it in line with "other players" and to make it more simple.
  • "Cardless actions: Bleed (1 by default), " is a bit unclear whereas you can bleed only once with all your minions, or each of your minion. I'd write "(max: once per minion)"
  • Cardless actions is missing "leave torpor"
  • "4. Infulence phase": typo, should be "Influence"

Block 4. Influence phase. I'd rather write:

You have 4 transfers to use.
1 tranfer: move 1 pool to one of your uncontrolled minion
2 transfers: move 1 pool back from one of your uncontrolled minion
4 transfers and 1 pool: draw a new crypt card
  • "Cancel Event cards with certain cards". I'd write "with cards such as Not to Be" (just like you did with Sudden Reversal
  • Combat Sequence "When a minion is blocked or attacked combat occurs". The term "attacked" doesn't exist after Jyhad edition. Use "A minion enters combat when he or she is blocked, or through cards such as Bum's Rush"
  • "Each of the below steps" => "of the steps below"
  • "Range by default is close (it's either long or close)" => "(it can switch between long and close)"
  • "(unless steal life / first strike)" => "(steal blood and first strike happen first)"
  • "A damage empty vampire goes to torpor" => "A damaged..."
  • "(only 1 set of additional strikes allowed)" => "(only 1 source...)"
  • Minions (vampires and allies): usage of "they" when it should be "he or she"
  • "Only ready untapped minions can perform actions" => add "(except to leave torpor)"
  • "(multiple hunts and rescues allowed)" => I would add an asterisk to those actions (and diablerie) in the "3. Minion phase" block and write "(except cardless actions marked with *. See 3.)"

"The first player only has 1 transfer. This increases by 1 each turn until the 4th player has 4 transfers" => ambiguous. One could think the first player has 2 transfers on the 2nd turn etc. I'd rather write:

"On the first turn, the first player has 1 transfer, the second player 2 transfers, the third player 3 transfers. After that, all players have 4 transfers each turn."

"Once the cost has been met the crypt card is flipped..." => this is wrong, crypt cards are flipped at the end of the influence phase. => "At the end of the influence phase, each crypt card with enough blood to reach its capacity is moved to the ready region, face up (extra blood wears off)."
  • "Your prey is to your left – oust them by reducing their pool to 0 (gain a Victory Point / VP)" => "...to 0 in order to gain 1 Victory Point and 6 pool." Also replace "them" by "him or her"
  • "Your predator is to your right – prevent them from ousting you." => replace "them" by "him or her"
  • "A directed action targets another player or a card controlled by them." => "or a card he or she controls"
  • "Only the controller targeted by the directed action can block it." => "Only the player..."
  • "or 2 hours have passed"

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Pascek

More
03 Jul 2015 05:42 #71924 by Ke.
Cool; thanks for the input and taking the time to work through it.

Will work through the comments and see what works space wise (a lot of the text was driven by space constraints).

More
03 Jul 2015 07:37 #71925 by Ke.
Most suggestions implemented (same files).

More
03 Jul 2015 08:05 #71926 by Damnans
The second link directs to the same file as the first link.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
03 Jul 2015 08:10 #71927 by Ke.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds