file New Player Guide / Cheatsheet

03 Jul 2015 08:53 #71928 by 2wayspeaker
I think it's too much text and too in depth on some parts and not enough on other parts.

Things I think are not usefull for new players:
All the clans and disciplines. This is not relevant in a well made deck. Instead put focus on card requirements: a minion card with a clan symbol -> need clan vampire in play. Display the distinction between inferior and superior better and focus on ICON matching instead of what all the icons difficult names are. The names are not relevant, but icon matching and the difference between inferior (only inferior) or superior (choice) is important.

You are also completely missing what action and vampire defaults are.
You should make clear that vampires have 1 strength 0 stealth and 0 intercept. Also that bleeds do 1 damage and are at 0 stealth but other actions default to 1 stealth.

Another thing that isnt highlighted enough is that you do not draw when the turn starts. This contrary to most other games.

I generally like the left side of the A3 and dislike the right side. I think the right side could be better explained with an enlarged and denoted card. This will make it more visually appealing while conveying the relevant information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2015 13:12 #71934 by Pascal Bertrand
I'd change the "Turn order" diagram.
Keep it a pentagon, but invert it, and have "You" on the bottom circle, "Prey" and "Predator" on its sides, and "Grand-prey", "Grand predator" on the opposites

More
03 Jul 2015 20:01 #71935 by Ke.

I'd change the "Turn order" diagram.
Keep it a pentagon, but invert it, and have "You" on the bottom circle, "Prey" and "Predator" on its sides, and "Grand-prey", "Grand predator" on the opposites

Good idea — done.

More
03 Jul 2015 20:10 #71936 by Ke.

You are also completely missing what action and vampire defaults are.

Default bleed of 1 is mentioned as is default strike of 1.

Another thing that isn't highlighted enough is that you do not draw when the turn starts. This contrary to most other games.

Draw immediately when a card is played is mentioned twice.

New players appear to grasp the concept of stealth and intercept fairly well, which is why it is lightly touched on here. Again this is not meant to replace the rule book, the primary goal is to assist with turn flow ie. when to play certain cards / what to do during your turn. That's why the two flow diagrams are so prominent.

I suspect (hope) after 1 or 2 games the sheet will be redundant for most players.

More
06 Jul 2015 06:52 #71959 by Lönkka
Awesome stuff mate -well done!

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
06 Jul 2015 22:14 - 07 Jul 2015 00:07 #71968 by Ke.
So I got some printed and laminated — they came out really polished looking.

Field tested them last night and they were really helpful for the new players. The main thing they used it for was referencing the turn and combat sequencing — so they hit the make there.

Also let them keep the cheat sheet, which was a nice "shiny" thing to take home and has a lot extra fluff to look at during the day. Also figure it's a good talking point, if any one sees it they're likely to ask "What's that?" which could be a good introduction to the game.

In terms of practicality the A4 version is probably more practical (smaller size and page 1 has the important stuff) — but it lacks that wow / impressive factor which I think is important in terms of attraction.

Here's some shots printed and of the night...

Last edit: 07 Jul 2015 00:07 by Ke..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans, self biased

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds