exclamation-circle Anthology set previews: April 3

04 Apr 2017 22:36 #81322 by narpassword
Currently do people think 'it says "he or she" and I have a guy vamp and a girl vamp on the table - therefore i must be able to do this with both!' ?

Because if the singular 'they' is going to cause issues, surely there must be issues already?

No idea what your SJW issue is...

using 'they' is a much nicer way to read the card though. Again - I'm a new player so perhaps I haven't settled into the way things are just yet, but reading sentences with 'he or she' feels unnecessarily cumbersome.

The card in the example already says 'This vampire ...' then continues on with 'they can'. The subject has been defined as singular.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2017 22:45 - 04 Apr 2017 22:46 #81327 by self biased

This stupid SJW crap is infesting everything nowadays....

It is SUPER ambiguous as they refers to a group. Everyone [citation needed] will read it and expect it to allow all their vampires to play cards as if unlocked.

for those playing "logical fallacy bingo" at home, please cover "Strawman" and "Appeal to Authority."

Seriously, this is only as big of a change as you make it. I took a quick tour through the csv and the only truly awkward spot that I've found so far is on "Anachronism." which is easily fixed by changing it to "Put this card on a vampire with capacity above 6. This vampire cannot have or use any ranged weapons except the Ivory Bow. Burn any ranged weapons this minion has."
Last edit: 04 Apr 2017 22:46 by self biased.

More
05 Apr 2017 01:04 - 05 Apr 2017 01:17 #81330 by Cat_in_Exile
Yeah, the gender-fluid thing is unnecessarily political correct, and it sounds wierd. I had a quick look at Ambrosio Luis Moncada's text, replaced 'he' with 'they', and it's sounds silly. If we really need to address this, I'd much rather the gender text on the cards refer to crypt cards by the gender the characters themselves identify as. It's a much better common ground.

However!

... am I the only one who's reading a more than I probably should into this part?:

"in order to revive the game on a sound basis, White Wolf had to..."

I mean, to me, this seems like the part we should be discussing, no? Why is it so important now to remove the WotC bits?
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 01:17 by Cat_in_Exile.

More
05 Apr 2017 02:16 #81331 by narpassword

Yeah, the gender-fluid thing is unnecessarily political correct, and it sounds wierd. I had a quick look at Ambrosio Luis Moncada's text, replaced 'he' with 'they', and it's sounds silly. If we really need to address this, I'd much rather the gender text on the cards refer to crypt cards by the gender the characters themselves identify as. It's a much better common ground.

However!

... am I the only one who's reading a more than I probably should into this part?:

I mean, to me, this seems like the part we should be discussing, no? Why is it so important now to remove the WotC bits?

Isn't it just the 'He or She' text that is being replaced with 'they'?

More
05 Apr 2017 02:53 #81332 by Boris The Blade
1) It looks the legal cloud is clearing, and that is a freaking good news.

2) The inclusion of Wake in the rulebook is also a good step towards making the game more accessible. One should have a rough idea of how the game will play after reading the rules, and there is no way to play this game without knowing what a wake is. Next on the list: bounce.

3) Finally, because I cannot decently post a message without nitpicking: 7 years without real cards, and the best you can come up with is a 4-cap with 3 inferior in-clan disciplines? :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
05 Apr 2017 04:17 - 05 Apr 2017 04:25 #81333 by Cat_in_Exile

However!

Isn't it just the 'He or She' text that is being replaced with 'they'?

Here would be the updated text:

"Sabbat cardinal: Monçada cannot block. Other Methuselahs' actions targeting Monçada cost an additional pool. If Monçada is ready during your discard phase, they can untap another ready Lasombra."

I dunno, man (or girl, or they :P ). Sounds weird to me... Anyways, I'm not here to debate this, just pointing it out, and making a suggestion.

I'd also like to add that I actually prefer Lock/Unlock to Tap/Untap, and I like Wake as well, so those are good changes, IMO.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2017 04:25 by Cat_in_Exile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds