file What is happening in Russia

26 Feb 2022 10:41 - 26 Feb 2022 10:51 #104731 by elotar
I've been asked at discord so small overview.

In Moscow live goes on as usual, the only visible change is the fall of rubble (national currency) for like 10-15%. Those who got deposits in banks are withdrawing cash, especially dollars and euro.

There was stock market crash, but when the stocks hit the bottom (-50%) some large players started to buy everything. I'm not deep into this staff so no details.

There was some propaganda campaign, started at the beginning of the week, showing Putin and his cronies in hard decision how to save good people living in Ukraine (those who speak Russian or/and are kind in general) from the bad nazi who are in power and oppress them, which after the beginning of the "war" transformed into something like (today's news broadcast from state TV channel): "Some ukrainian captives; our forces liberated some obscure ukraininan city; statistics of destroyed enemy military equipment and facilities (hundreds of buildings and vehicles, but no human casualties or maybe I've missed them); evil ukrainians shelling our civilians and hiding their fire points near their civilians; ukrainian leaders refusing to negotiate peace... (at this point I was bored)

But it seems that all of this is localised only at state TV. There are no social media campaign, no mass movements (there is "Ribbon of Saint George" tradition of public support for a russian military designed exactly for the same situation but totally not present now), no recruitment into state forces or "voluntary militia of free ukrainian republics", no donation campaign. All of this was in full force at 2014, when the conflict was in theory much more local.

At all other media channels there is widespread anti-war movement. Most authority figures are voicing their disagreement with the Putin's desition, in social media mostly everybody is for the peace or loudly for the Ukraine victory.

My friend works in government cartography agency and they got an order to be ready to integrate Ukraine territory in their works. My other friend got an european passport and moving his funds from Russia.

My acquittances from border regions are saying, that there are no real exchanges of fire between forces, they are just synchronically changing positions. But they hear some shots and explosions far away, so maybe they are just lucky or ... :dry:

Got some wild observation. Near my office is headquarters of Moscow subway contraction agency, which was established at the time of Stalin, but for the last 30 years were working just as any other Russian company. But two days ago they suddenly added Soviet Union decorations on their signboard.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2022 10:51 by elotar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frode, Loughman, Menteith, Ankha, Lasu, Ashur, ReverendRevolver, Boris The Blade, self biased, toms

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2022 17:11 #104732 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic What is happening in Russia
Thanks for this report. Yes, it is very hard to understand exactly what Putin hopes to archieve with all this, except for tormenting and killing people. Stay safe.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
26 Feb 2022 17:25 #104733 by ReverendRevolver
Since news outlets are consistently biased and it's hard to find non-conflicting facts, there is much I'm curious about. Is there an official end-scenario being pushed? Annexation seems the goal, but given the outward rationale being "liberation" and not feeling threatened, wouldn't installing the existing separatist forces in a new "liberated" government look better?
War is an ugly thing.
Is the stock market there worse now than that crash a few years back?
I hope anyone living in either country is staying safe. Normal people always lose in wars, regardless of which side prevails.

More
26 Feb 2022 19:01 #104734 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic What is happening in Russia

Is the stock market there worse now than that crash a few years back?

fortune.com/2022/02/24/russia-stockmarket-crash/ (but I guess Putin calculated with such things happening)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
26 Feb 2022 19:34 - 26 Feb 2022 19:50 #104736 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic What is happening in Russia

Is there an official end-scenario being pushed? Annexation seems the goal, but given the outward rationale being "liberation" and not feeling threatened, wouldn't installing the existing separatist forces in a new "liberated" government look better?

Not only no end-scenario, there is actually no "beginning scenario" either. There was Putin's "address to the nation" at the early morning of the first day that Russian forces are going to ensure safety of two separatist republics, but no way it explains troop movements all over the Ukraine. I doubt that there are enough resources to annex Ukraine even if there will be no pressure from the world community. There are multiple possible scenarios discussed, but no one is officially backed by government authorities.

It all totally does not compare with loud propaganda campaign at 2014 about Crimea annexation.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2022 19:50 by elotar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ReverendRevolver

More
27 Feb 2022 03:34 - 27 Feb 2022 03:46 #104737 by smeeag
Replied by smeeag on topic What is happening in Russia
My (Russian, Saint-Petersburg, 33yo civil construction engineer) 5 cents: we don't want the war, nobody asked us about it, and those who questioned (in public & with the support) those in charge of their political decisions are now in jail, or forced to migrate, the rest tries to live the life doing best of what they can (support important ones around, doing peaceful/safe protests, waiting all this nightmare to finish asap, sorry that's not much but...).

Thanks, we are the human beings too, regardless of what 'our' goverment tries to do.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2022 03:46 by smeeag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: emime, alf, Menteith, Lasu, Ashur, ReverendRevolver

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds