file Not sure where to get started

24 Jun 2012 14:45 #32464 by Idaho1417
Hey All,

I played my first game of V:TES last night. I spent the first half of the game confused (I hadn't even read the rules), and the second half sweeping the table (with the help of a great deck and advising from my prey).

I enjoyed it enough that I'm looking to pick up some cards to have decks laying around to play with friends (and to start to put together my own deck for play elsewhere). Ideally, I'd like to get some starters to work with.

Any suggestions are appreciated, either for starters, boxes, or a place I can get a random lot (or if you're selling off your collection!).

My plan was to head to Rose Tatu productions and either pick up a Black Hand display (and combine it as Lasombra recommended in a thread), or a Third Edition and Lords of the Night deck set (which would give me more decks AND allow for play of up to 5). I don't know if that's a good idea, and I don't know where I'd go after there.

So any recommendations are welcome. As a bit of background, I tend to like toolbox-y decks that allow me to manipulate a lot of the field (in AGoT, I play Martell, if that means anything to you). However, I don't know enough about V:TES to say for sure if that's something that I can do, or if I'll enjoy it in the game.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2012 16:05 #32468 by mondragon
A starter box Legacies of Blood is very nice to start to play and 2 or 3 Blood Shadowed Court if you want to use camarilla clans with those cards.

I recomended that.

More
24 Jun 2012 16:10 - 24 Jun 2012 16:12 #32471 by david.tatu
Glad you found us, more traffic here than on BGG.
Based on what you are thinking of getting I would not go with the Lords of the Night decks. Black Hand Starter display plus the 4 starters from Third Edition and then I would suggest a Blood Shadow Court Deck. It has 100 Vampires in it. While they are Cam, they are the right group for you to mix with the Sabbat Vamps and it will give you a chance to play with 5 players and not worry about contesting Vampires. This also puts you at $76 plus shipping which, depending on your finances, it not a huge investment to get a playgroup started.
After that, start getting boosters and look for lots on Ebay.
Good luck,

David Tatu
V:EKN Scribe
Last edit: 24 Jun 2012 16:12 by david.tatu.

More
26 Jun 2012 14:34 #32529 by brandonsantacruz
You know, I wonder if one of these "play group support kits" would be the most useful thing for you:

www.sites.google.com/site/rosetatuproductions/playgroup-support-kits-1

It is a starter box plus a bunch of staple cards, which should be good for constructing your basic decks. You could stick with 3rd edition and get the equivalent of a booster box of things tailored to support the starters. One thing you will find if you get the starters alone is that they are not all optimal cards. It would be good to have something to put in their place, like from a big box of staple cards.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
26 Jun 2012 14:50 #32530 by Idaho1417
Thanks all.

I ended up picking up a BH Playgroup Support kit from Rose Tatu and a set of the KoT starters (I wanted to get some of the more political starters).

I also found a box of 3rd edition boosters, so I picked that up.

More
26 Jun 2012 17:04 - 26 Jun 2012 17:05 #32535 by TorranceCircle

Thanks all.

I ended up picking up a BH Playgroup Support kit from Rose Tatu and a set of the KoT starters (I wanted to get some of the more political starters).

I also found a box of 3rd edition boosters, so I picked that up.

Here's an interesting deck built from a !toreador BH starter and a KoT starter. There are some tips for improving it. If you want to go votes primarily you can shift the focus to that and use the guns as combat defense or bruise style deck.
www.thelasombra.com/dbc/andyF_bht_kott.htm

Here are some fun bruise/vote decks that are less subtle than the Toreador deck above. You could probably make a simmilar Brujah deck from the KoT starters.

www.thelasombra.com/dbc/brandon_brujah_anti.htm
www.thelasombra.com/dbc/jussi_bandantib.htm

Of course, here is Lasombra's BH starter deck mash-ups. The premis of these decks is to build 4 balanced decks from BH starters for beginners to play against each other.

www.thelasombra.com/dbc/bhsdcr.htm
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 17:05 by TorranceCircle.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds