file Tournament Scoring

01 Feb 2013 07:00 - 01 Feb 2013 07:02 #44691 by Pascal Bertrand
I think that if two players get at least three VPs at the table, each of them deserves at least a GW - if not two - for breaking the mechanics of the VP awarding :)

But giving a GW at 3+ VPs doesn't solve the problem Reyda sees. If you've ousted 3 preys and are in a duel, you'd still be free to withdraw, and "no longer" play the game anymore.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 07:02 by Pascal Bertrand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boris The Blade, Reyda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2013 16:21 #44712 by Wedge
Replied by Wedge on topic Re: Tournament Scoring
For your considerations...

V.P.s and T.P.s are only awarded to the game winner.

or

V.P.s are only awarded to the game winner.

So on a table that fell 3:1:1:0:0 it would be recorded 3:0:0:0:0

There could be a last man standing clause in the case of ties (i.e. 2: 2: 1 or 0.5)
It seems likely that this would increase "coin flips" to get into the finals in small tournaments, but I don't necessarily think this is worse then what we now have.

More
01 Feb 2013 16:32 #44713 by Reyda
Replied by Reyda on topic Re: Tournament Scoring
It's really nice to see fresh ideas.
Of course, a first shot at anything being never perfect (i don't count those haiku & tank masters here ;) ), we'll need some revision and discussion to propose an alternatives who give players an incentive to play the game.

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
01 Feb 2013 23:17 #44736 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Tournament Scoring

For your considerations...

V.P.s and T.P.s are only awarded to the game winner.

or

V.P.s are only awarded to the game winner.

So on a table that fell 3:1:1:0:0 it would be recorded 3:0:0:0:0

There could be a last man standing clause in the case of ties (i.e. 2: 2: 1 or 0.5)
It seems likely that this would increase "coin flips" to get into the finals in small tournaments, but I don't necessarily think this is worse then what we now have.

Wouldn't VTES as an all-or-nothing game mean that every table would turn into high-risk high-reward decks, because no one likes repetitive play where they are constantly "losing"? So every casual game would become like Day1 of a continental championship?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
01 Feb 2013 23:20 #44737 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: Tournament Scoring

Wouldn't VTES as an all-or-nothing game mean that every table would turn into high-risk high-reward decks, because no one likes repetitive play where they are constantly "losing"? So every casual game would become like Day1 of a continental championship?

At least there would be fewer table time outs. ;)

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
02 Feb 2013 06:12 #44739 by direwolf
Replied by direwolf on topic Re: Tournament Scoring
I find it can be sometimes contradictory to expect players to maximize their VPs in a given game, when the format they are playing is a tournament consisting of more than one game

The number of players in the tournament also affects gameplay. In a smaller tournament, 1 game win is often enough to get to the finals. A player may play differently if he or she has a game win already, or knows that another player at his or her table has a game win.

Remember in the recent Olympics, when Badminton teams were throwing games because the tournament structure encouraged it? They eliminated the teams for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I am of two minds on this: yes, it is unsportsman-like to throw a game. But if the game is part of a larger tournament, then the goal is to win the tournament. If you can lose the game and still win the tournament, then that is a problem with the organization of the tournament.

Maybe the V:EKN tournament rules could be improved. I'm not sure how much the proposed changes would affect anything. The math may be harder, but thematically, the second suggestion by Kuta is appropriate. A vampire should never be satiated... even with the game win he or she should always want more... be it blood of victory points.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds