question-circle Guidelines for the location of Regional Qualifier Events

22 Jul 2013 23:26 #52045 by Adonai
Are there any Guidelines for the location of Regional Qualifier Events?

Example:

Spain has 2 each year, and the same players cannot attend both events.
Australia has 2 in the same city in the same year.

Are there plans for the V:EKN to codify some rules around regional qualifiers so that all players will have an equal chance to qualify?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2013 00:02 #52047 by BenPeal
The policy in the US has traditionally been to encourage cross-participation among playgroups and there are no plans to discourage that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
23 Jul 2013 10:57 #52080 by KevinM
Jeff, it sounds to me like you're talking about equality of OUTCOME and not equality of OPPORTUNITY.

If I'm correct, then I don't think that any changes will be forthcoming.

If I'm wrong, could you explain a little more in-depth what you believe the problem(s) to be, with the solution(s) that you foresee fixing the problem(s)? Thanks.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
25 Jul 2013 00:40 - 25 Jul 2013 00:41 #52199 by Adonai

Jeff, it sounds to me like you're talking about equality of OUTCOME and not equality of OPPORTUNITY.

Spain prohibits players from playing in both of the qualifiers in their country.
Australia had multiple qualifiers in the same city with no prohibitions.

This seems very bad for Spanish players.

Why punish them?

If a playgroup must travel more than one hour to play with another group, they should be entitled to hold their own regional qualifier.

Where one hour could be some distance determined by the V:EKN local volunteers in association with the national volunteers and applied to all countries equally.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 00:41 by Adonai.

More
25 Jul 2013 02:00 #52206 by Juggernaut1981
In Australia we are deliberately trying to increase the numbers of people attending the Championship event. It was easier before repeat-qualification, we could skip over the previously qualified players. It's also a shame to have a National Event and not qualify a large number of people for the Continental Championships (since very few of the AUS players would find it easy to attend Championships outside of AUS I don't know why there is such a problem...).

I can understand from Spain's perspective because they want to stop people multi-qualifying and if their playerbase can easily support those 'rules' then congratulations to them. In Europe it would be easy to get the EC to 40+ players if you only qualified the Nationals Finalists... there are more than 8 VTES playing countries on their continent. In Australia, we want to qualify as many as we can... and there is the Asian Championship system with an Open Continental Championship...

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
25 Jul 2013 07:21 #52225 by Damnans

Spain prohibits players from playing in both of the qualifiers in their country.
[...].

This seems very bad for Spanish players.

Why punish them?

That is no longer so since last year.

For countries like France and Spain which split each of their Continental Qualifiers in two events, any players who participate in one of them are now allowed to participate in the other, but:

- They will not be taken into account when calculating the top 25% of players in the other tournament (who would qualify). That means that if the tournament had 20 participants, and one of them had already qualified in a previous Continental Qualifier in the same country, for qualifying purposes the tournament would be considered to have 19 participants instead.

- And they will not be able to qualify.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds