question-circle Guidelines for the location of Regional Qualifier Events

25 Jul 2013 11:28 #52243 by Jeff Kuta

The answers are actually, as you stated right there, "YES", and "YES"(*).
The current guidelines being "It's a country-by-country basis".

Whether this a good guideline or not can be discussed (and that's what Juggernaut1981 and Damnans have been doing).

Ok. Fair enough. But to my knowledge these country-by-country guidelines are not published anywhere. That might not be necessary, but it does make it more difficult for someone to actually track the legitimate qualifiers.

(*) I'm not sure I really understand what "equal" means in this context....

I suppose "equal" means "gives everyone in the country the same chances", or perhaps, "... a chance".

I would posit that it is also impossible to determine if people are treated "equally" without knowing how the qualification process varies from country to country. And should it?

My understanding, as related to me by local princes who run these things, is that each prince has the opportunity to run a single "qualifier" tournament during the calendar year. All other tournaments are just regular events.

If the system were truly that simple, why not just come out and say it?

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2013 11:54 #52244 by Brum

However, for countries like France and Spain which split each of their Continental Qualifiers in two events, any players who participate in one of them are also allowed to participate in the other, but:
They will not be taken into account when calculating the top 25% of players in the other tournament (who would qualify). That means that if the tournament had 20 participants, and one of the players in attendance had already qualified in a previous Continental Qualifier in the same country, for qualifying purposes the tournament would be considered to have 19 participants instead.
And they will not be able to qualify.

It was always there.
And what's in the rules wasn't what Jeff Thomson was askin', I think.
I think his question was how / why things are like that and how can you apply that somewhere else, if needed be?

When I was tracking all the qualified players in 2012, I asked Ben Peal about it because the US (one country) had lots of Continental Qualifiers.
I was completely satisfied with his answer.

Huge distances, many scattered playgroups that can hold 20+ Tournaments.

More
25 Jul 2013 18:03 #52251 by Adonai

That qualification system was used in France for our National Qualifiers, but its biggest issue is that it's a real pain to track who is already qualified (players tend to forget they are / think they're not).

This is why V:EKN dropped that extra tracking for unreported events years ago. Bringing it back is a serious mistake.

It is also a direct violation of the intent of the qualifier rules, quoted here:

All qualifier tournaments are handled equally regardless of order. Players who qualify in one qualifier are not handled any differently in other qualifiers. They can continue to qualify in each qualifier in which they play.

Once the EC 2013 is played, I won't be tracking it any more, so you can try to figure it out when you automate it.

Notice that this is one of the same problems that ranking had, that was also dropped from rankings.

More
26 Jul 2013 05:36 #52279 by Pascal Bertrand

Once the EC 2013 is played, I won't be tracking it any more, so you can try to figure it out when you automate it.

I'm working on it :)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds