file Clarification on Qualifier Events criteria

21 Jun 2011 15:07 #5394 by Clément
If a Qualifier Event awards 5 qualifying spots, the 5 qualified players are the ones who finish in the top 5 spots after the preliminary rounds, even if one of them drops out and doesn't play in the final table.

(This has been officially posted by LSJ on RGTCJ, and I would post a link, if Google Groups weren't so unbearably slow to load/browse in my setup).

With that in mind, I'd be looking for the right procedure in the following situations:

1) Same as above, one of the top 5 players drops out of the final, except he/she is dropped because of a disciplinary DQ;

2) Does the above ruling apply to the players who qualify for being finalists of the previous season's Continental/National Champioships, or in this case que qualified players are those who actually played in the final?

Luiz Mello
Coordenador Nacional - Brasil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2011 15:20 #5395 by Adonai
In my opinion, Scott's original decision is wrong.
If you don't finish the event, you should not receive benefits.
i.e. no prizes, no qualifying spots...

To answer your questions from today:

1) Disqualified players do not qualify.
2) Only the players that played in the final of the national/continental championship gets qualifying spots for the next year.

More
21 Jun 2011 15:38 #5396 by Clément

In my opinion, Scott's original decision is wrong.
If you don't finish the event, you should not receive benefits.
i.e. no prizes, no qualifying spots...

I mostly agree with you. The only reason I see for such a ruling to exist is to not punish a player who must to leave for a justified reason, but other than that I can't see why it would work like that.

In any case, I'm still going with that, since it's the official ruling in place.

To answer your questions from today:
1) Disqualified players do not qualify.

Agreed, it's the fair thing to do.

2) Only the players that played in the final of the national/continental championship gets qualifying spots for the next year.

The text in the Continental Championsship's page (www.vekn.net/index.php/continental-championships) is very clear about it regarding Continental Championships finalists ("Anyone who played in the finals of a Continental Championship..."), but less so regarding National Championships ("Finalists of constructed National Championship events...").

But it only makes sense that the two criteria work the same way, so I would suggest the two rules are written the same way for clarity (nitpicking, I know).

Thanks for your answers. I agree with them, and that's how I would rule in both cases if needed.

Could we get an official position from the VEKN on this one? (Assuming an official position is needed, that is. Maybe the correct ruling is straightforward for you all.

Luiz Mello
Coordenador Nacional - Brasil

More
01 Jul 2011 12:23 #5683 by johannes
A finalist is a Player who played the final. So they are the same. If top 5 drops out before final he is not a finalist but merely a top5 after pre rounds. A player who drops during the final is either a dick or has a very good reason. In any case judge should decide about it right then and there.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds