file Dumping Archon, creating a new tournament guiding app?

19 May 2018 10:35 #87169 by jamesatzephyr

Thank you for bringing this up. One of my main frustrations as an organizer has been difficulty in getting Archon to work when I need it to. This lead to my using paper cards, which has been superior in reliability up until the time I need to report the results.

This sounds like a quicker answer in the short-term would be a tutorial of some sort showing you how to use Archon. Are there some things you can do, but specific tasks you're trying to do with Archon that you can't do so you end up abandoning it altogether? Or do you have trouble doing anything in it at all?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2018 13:45 #87176 by beslin igor
Archon is very easy to manage. i never knowed how be calculated points in VTES tourneys until i organize first tourney via lackey. nobody learn me,i read how work and use to test with some example and learn easy.

More
20 May 2018 00:01 #87189 by brandonsantacruz

Thank you for bringing this up. One of my main frustrations as an organizer has been difficulty in getting Archon to work when I need it to. This lead to my using paper cards, which has been superior in reliability up until the time I need to report the results.

This sounds like a quicker answer in the short-term would be a tutorial of some sort showing you how to use Archon. Are there some things you can do, but specific tasks you're trying to do with Archon that you can't do so you end up abandoning it altogether? Or do you have trouble doing anything in it at all?

In my experience it doesn't work well on my chromebook and gets wigged out. It has been a few years, sorry I can't be more specific.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
21 May 2018 22:36 - 21 May 2018 22:38 #87263 by Ke.

Amaranth already have a randomize seating for multiple players ready, works on iOS, Android and web.

I like the idea of Archon like functionality in Amaranth; however there are a couple of issues with this:

1. The Archon is currently a very complex XL spreadsheet
2. The rating system currently only supports this XL spreadsheet

Replicating the behaviour of the Archon in an app is reasonably straight forward; replicating the generated spreadsheet afterwards to upload is much more complex.

So until the rating system supports a less complex format, ie. CSV, JSON or similar with a suitable API for the results; then it's unlikely any 3rd party app will support it.

What will it take to make an API available for apps to upload tournament results? — I suspect this will be a lot easier than the development that was required to process XLS documents.
Last edit: 21 May 2018 22:38 by Ke..
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

More
22 May 2018 08:28 #87280 by ScoundrelAtHeart
A mobile friendly web App would be really cool. This way I can do it in my phone or tablet and do not habe to bring my laptop to tournaments.
The app could be made with PHP, HTML and some JavaScript or other web technology so you'll just need a Browser to operate it.
There an be a menu entry for table randomizing and vp assignment, a gamewin and tournament win calculator, a function for players to upload their decklists as CSV before a specific tournament so the princes have the decklists ready should the need arise to check the decks of the players and many more functions.
But without knowing the Database structure it would be hard to estimate the workload.

:salu: Prince of Magdeburg
VEKN-ID: 5850005
Prince-ID: 615

More
22 May 2018 08:31 #87281 by Ankha
I think that the most simple course of actions if to automate the Excel archon into a program. The Archon supports all weird cases, it's just that people don't know how to use it. By adding a graphical layer and some common functionalities (eg. remove a late player), you cover 95% of the problems with minimum effort.

The trouble is that nobody is willing, capable and have time to do that work.

As for API to submit archons, it's the same issue. Noone has the time to do it (until I'm proven wrong, but this has been the case for 10 years).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds