question-circle Diferents languages

20 Jul 2019 07:38 #95907 by Aranduin
Diferents languages was created by Aranduin
Hi.
I have a doubt. If in a tournament, at a table there are players from different countries, is English mandatory? I think so but I did not find anything in the tournament rules.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2019 07:57 #95908 by thelonius reloaded
As far as I know it's mandatory. In case of a player non English speaker, I have seen players translate for them, but that slow down the game

Lurking in the underground of Bologna, Italy

More
20 Jul 2019 09:56 #95909 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Diferents languages
In international tournaments people speak with common language which in most cases tends to be english.

I've been on tables (at EC9 which have had people who know like a dozen words of english and that can be detrimental. Especially if the do not know the game that well and most of the cards are new to them. How do you explain table balance and what certain actions/play does to it to them?

Worst experience was a non-english speaking inexperienced player playing a political deck. How do you bargain or plead in such a case?

Sorry to say this but if you can't speak english I think attending international tournament where everyone else does is kind a bad move... :/

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
23 Jul 2019 12:07 #95935 by Sambomb
Replied by Sambomb on topic Diferents languages
The cards are in english, a player of the game is expected to know the basics of the language at least.

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

More
23 Jul 2019 15:57 - 23 Jul 2019 15:57 #95937 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Diferents languages

Hi.
If in a tournament, at a table there are players from different countries, is English mandatory? I think so but I did not find anything in the tournament rules.

If there is nothing to find in the Tournament Rules it is up to the organizer/head judge to decide.

N.B.
I would judge (like many before) that English has to be used on a table with players from different countries. Of course they can admit to any other language everybody at the table speaks and understands good enough.
I wouldn't let other players translate at a table as a translation actually cannot be objective but subjective.

Baron of Frankfurt
Last edit: 23 Jul 2019 15:57 by Joscha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds