file True or False? Cards are used in the manner the card designers intended.

Poll: True or False? Cards are used in the manner the card designers intended. (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
11 Nov 2013 23:14 #56543 by the1andonlime

My question "How do you mean?" refers to the question in the poll. Some cards are used as intended, some are not. I guess the cards that differ the most from the designers idea are those that wasn´t playtested enough, or those when the playtesters comments were ignored (Ashur Tablets? Anthelios? Villein? Wallpaper cards?)

The complete card list, taken as a whole, I guess.

Suaku
Inceptor Asian Continental Championship
興っ
www.youtube.com/SuakuOz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2013 04:40 #56545 by BobbyDoc
I believe "Bewitching Oration" is used as intended and "Pulled Fangs" is not. So what should I answer?

More
12 Nov 2013 05:16 #56546 by brandonsantacruz

How do you mean?

Good question. I mean are cards used in ways that the designers foresaw and planned for.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
12 Nov 2013 09:11 #56549 by jamesatzephyr

How do you mean?

Good question. I mean are cards used in ways that the designers foresaw and planned for.

How would that even work? Do you think a card designer in 1994 anticipated Gehenna events, Laibon, Conviction and the Research area being created, and planned for his or her cards to work with them? Could LSJ have foreseen Resist Earth's Grasp interacting with Spoils of War?

More
12 Nov 2013 12:12 #56550 by Ashur

How do you mean?

In that case: No. Especially if you refer to 100 % of the cards.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
12 Nov 2013 15:54 #56554 by ICL

I mean are cards used in ways that the designers foresaw and planned for.

CCGs (I have come to appreciate how CCG is an acronym for customizable card games as well as collectible card games) aren't really CCGs if designers can predict how players will use the cards. They would just be boardgames with a lot of interactions.

What was revolutionary about Magic compared to competitive games it might compete with was that it lived outside the box. Today, you will often see Magic's lead designer or lead developer note how internal playtesting will never solve the environment for sets they release nor would they ever wish such a thing. If a couple hundred people can solve an environment in a year, a million players will solve it in a month. Obviously, V:TES is on a different scale, but the concept holds - a known environment is a stale environment, which makes for a boring CCG.

Now, one can distinguish between unforeseen rules interactions and unforeseen use of cards. The former doesn't really add to fun, except that there will be unforeseen rules interactions because of unforeseen uses of cards.

But, discovery is a prime driver for the play of CCGs.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds