file [Floppy] Scorpion Sting VS any given Dodge Strikes

24 Sep 2011 11:37 #10896 by Brum
In this post Scott tells us that Scorpion Sting doesn't prevent the opposing minion from playing a Dodge (that will fizzle).

I find this a bit counter intuitive, as other effects in the game deny the opponent from using certain other effects.

There seems to be a difference between "Opposing minion cannot use Dodges" and "This strike cannot be Dodged by the opposing minion" in the rulings.
I think that that difference is counter intuitive, but then again, English is not my mother tongue...

Another Dodge related question:

Wind Dance's wording might give the impression one can use the additional Dodge later then the second strike.
If the opposing minion uses Blur or any other effect that gives her 3+ strikes that round, can the Wind Dancer choose to Dodge the first and third strikes, thus taking the second?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2011 12:05 #10897 by Haze
you can still declare a Strike: Dodge, it just won't protect you. most commonly this matters if the acting minion had to choose strikes first, they don't know if the 2nd minion will play Scorpion Sting or not, so it is treated the same as if it was the other way around. it's not preventing anything in advance like Grapple does, the Scorpion Sting text triggers only when strikes resolve.
similarly, Mayaparisatya vs Stunt Cycle. you can still play Stunt Cycle (if you were acting, you didn't know what was about to happen!) and the prevention text has no effect. but after strikes resolve, you're not allowed to play Skin of Steel to prevent the agg.

Wind Dance would count as your one source of additional strikes when you play it, so no Blur. I'm not even sure what would happen if Jacko or Hell-For-Leather is involved.

More
24 Sep 2011 12:10 #10898 by Brum

Wind Dance would count as your one source of additional strikes when you play it, so no Blur. I'm not even sure what would happen if Jacko or Hell-For-Leather is involved.

I was meaning:

Minion A: Wind Dance
Minion B: Hands + Blur at :CEL:

Can minion A choose her dodge to be at minion B's third strike?

More
24 Sep 2011 12:37 #10899 by Suoli

In this post Scott tells us that Scorpion Sting doesn't prevent the opposing minion from playing a Dodge (that will fizzle).

I find this a bit counter intuitive, as other effects in the game deny the opponent from using certain other effects.

There seems to be a difference between "Opposing minion cannot use Dodges" and "This strike cannot be Dodged by the opposing minion" in the rulings.
I think that that difference is counter intuitive, but then again, English is not my mother tongue...

I figure it uses the same principle as Aid From Bats vs. Immortal Grapple. The IG effect can't be applied until the opponent has had a chance to play AFB as his strike in the determine range-step. Similarly, Scorpion Sting's effect isn't applied until the strike reaches resolution so the opponent will have a chance to choose dodge as his strike in the choose strikes-step.

More
24 Sep 2011 12:42 #10901 by Brum

I figure it uses the same principle as Aid From Bats vs. Immortal Grapple. The IG effect can't be applied until the opponent has had a chance to play AFB as his strike in the determine range-step. Similarly, Scorpion Sting's effect isn't applied until the strike reaches resolution so the opponent will have a chance to choose dodge as his strike in the choose strikes-step.

Right, but once Immortal Grapple is on the table, one cannot use Aid From Bats (or more realistically Theft of Vitae, Coma, etc..)
My point is the Acting Minion playing Scorpion Sting at :ANI: doesn't stop the opposing to Dodge. That is the counter intuitive part for me.

More
24 Sep 2011 12:56 - 24 Sep 2011 13:00 #10902 by Suoli

Right, but once Immortal Grapple is on the table, one cannot use Aid From Bats (or more realistically Theft of Vitae, Coma, etc..)
My point is the Acting Minion playing Scorpion Sting at :ANI: doesn't stop the opposing to Dodge. That is the counter intuitive part for me.

IG doesn't retroactively stop a minion from playing AFB during the determine range-step. Scorpion Sting can't retroactively stop the opposing minion from choosing a dodge as a strike because the text on Scorpion Sting that follows the word Strike isn't applied until both minions have chosen a strike and the combat progresses to strike resolution. Before that, the Scorpion Sting isn't "on the table", so to speak. Once the strikes resolve, the Scorpion Sting tells the dodge to go fizzle himself because the no dodging effect is applied.

I hope that's clearer.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2011 13:00 by Suoli.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds