file Paying the Cost of Villein

21 Nov 2011 07:43 - 21 Nov 2011 07:44 #15191 by Pascal Bertrand

To cancel a card is not the same as cancelling an "effect"

It actually is. [LSJ 20040608] .
The ruling was for all cards that don't read "no cost is paid".
Here's an example (same thread as the one I linked just above:
[LSJ 20090601]
Other example:
[LSJ 20100718] Paying the cost of a card cancelled by Santaleous

I'll make this part clearer in the next RTR.

@Juggernaut: There is no difference between "cancel a card as it is played" on Santaleous' cardtext, and "cancel a card as it is played" on Direct Intervention. So there is no difference on the way the cost is handled in each case (that is: refer to cardtext).

I think the rulebook doesn't read "You can't play a card if you can't pay its cost" because that's what "cost to play a card" means. And I see no reason to revert this.

DI only cancels the effects of a card played. It doesn't cancel the "played" aspect of the card.
For instance, if someone DI's your Conditioning, you can't play a second one, per the Action Modifiers definition - Rulebook 1.6.3.2 .
If somone DI's your Immortal Grapple or Carrion Crows, you can't play a second one, etc...
Last edit: 21 Nov 2011 07:44 by Pascal Bertrand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2011 08:19 #15196 by Ankha

@Juggernaut: There is no difference between "cancel a card as it is played" on Santaleous' cardtext, and "cancel a card as it is played" on Direct Intervention. So there is no difference on the way the cost is handled in each case (that is: refer to cardtext).

Same thing with Veil of Darkness, which has the same effect as a DI, despite a different wording (and not mentionning the priority of VoD vs DI).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
21 Nov 2011 09:55 - 21 Nov 2011 10:01 #15205 by Smaul

Maybe it's clearer if I make a short list of how play / pay / resolve [and eventually replace ] works depending on the cardtype. This list follows the classic Golden Rule of Cardtext (if the cards says otherwise, it takes precedence - for instance Wake with Evening's Freshness isn't replaced until untap phase):
["->" represents the existence of a window, "+" represents simultaneity]

1 - Play (and announce terms) => pay+resolve+replace: Masters, action modifiers, reaction cards, non-strike combat cards, reflex.
2 - Play (and announce terms) => replace => pay+resolve: Action cards.
3 - Play (and announce terms) => pay+replace => resolve: Strike cards.

Using logic of cards of type #2 for cards of type #1 (or of cards of type #3 for cards of type #2, contradicting the Bima+Govern clarification) is not recommended.

Using logic of cards type 1
I play a pentex announce the target, Santaleous cancels as played, I really have a big trouble understanding why you keep paying the cost, really. I've read LSJs thread, but a simple no answer is not what I really like to see. Is this what you wrote incorrect or somehow different for Santaleous?

With the expression "effect" I wanted to mean, another thing, I just couldn't find a propper world. "Effect" was refered to things like: referendum, strike, blood hunt... I don't know if it´s seen what I mean.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2011 10:01 by Smaul.

More
21 Nov 2011 11:44 #15213 by Pascal Bertrand
I'm working on the next rules release, but you should start considering that a canceled card is treated as if it has no cardtext. Simply remove all the text inside the box. A canceled card has no effect.
What remains is:
- name (can't play a second Conditioning or IG)
- requirements (and how the card was played - sup', inf', out' - can't play a second sup' Outside the Hourglass)
- targets, if any
- cost (which is paid unless explicitely written)

For instance, here is the DI'd Conditioning:
Name: Conditioning
Requirements: dom
Type: Action modifier
[played at: DOM]
Cost: 1 blood [not paid with DI]
Text:

Here is the DI'd Wake with Evening's Freshness:
Name: Wake with Evening's Freshness
Requirements: -
Type: Reaction
Cost: -
Text: -
(notice that you replace it)

Here is the DI'd Majesty:
Name: Majesty
Requirement: Presence
Type: Combat
[played at: PRE]
Cost: 1 blood [not paid with DI]
(DI'd Majesty doesn't declare your strike)

Here is the Power of All'd Pentex Subversion on a vampire with a Secure Haven
Name: Pentex Subversion
Requirement: -
Type: Master
[played on: vampire with a Secure Haven]
Cost: 2+1 pool
(Power of All'd Pentex Subversion doesn't stay in play).

Here's an example of a Santaleous'd Villein on a vampire with 1 Villein:
Name: Villein
Master: Trifle (but remember that canceled Trfles don't give extra MPAs)
[played on: someone with a Villein]
Cost: 1 pool [has to be paid]

Here's an exampleof a Power of All'd Archon Investigation played on Lucia, the Perfect
Name: Archon Investigation
Master: Out of Turn [does still consume 1 MPA from next master phase]
[Played on: Lucian, the Perfect]
Cost: 3 pool

More
21 Nov 2011 12:09 - 21 Nov 2011 12:15 #15215 by Smaul
I understand how it works, I just don't really see the logic. Appart from being a faq, to cancelling meaning that a card is played only without text, I see it just strange. If rulemakers designed it that way, I´ll play it that way, but seems really strange.

This makes santaleous gorgeous as crazy bleeder. Bleed for 6 archon, cancel, the target pays 3 pool and he still gets the 6 bleed... amazing
Last edit: 21 Nov 2011 12:15 by Smaul.

More
21 Nov 2011 12:27 #15222 by Ankha

This makes santaleous gorgeous as crazy bleeder. Bleed for 6 archon, cancel, the target pays 3 pool and he still gets the 6 bleed... amazing

It has always been that way with Santaleous, it's not new. Still, we don't see him that often on the tables.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds