file Re: "Set the range"

13 Feb 2012 06:51 - 13 Feb 2012 06:54 #22906 by Malachy
"Set the range" was created by Malachy
Heys!

A question came up yesterday on our vtes forum concerning "set the range" effects. Some texts include "skip the Determine Range step this round" (Selective Silence, Neebi, Sniper Rifle, Cailean etc...) and some do not ( Brick by Brick, Cold Aura, Squirrel's Balance, High Ground etc...).

These cards spawned from different releases yet some of them include either kind of texting (LOTN - Selective Silence vs Cold Aura) which makes one think that maneuvers can be used when playing par example Brick by Brick.

Am I missing some kind of essential rule or ruling to believe so?

NC of Hungary

///
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 06:54 by Malachy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2012 07:32 - 13 Feb 2012 07:34 #22908 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: "Set the range"

These cards spawned from different releases yet some of them include either kind of texting (LOTN - Selective Silence vs Cold Aura) which makes one think that maneuvers can be used when playing par example Brick by Brick.

Am I missing some kind of essential rule or ruling to believe so?

[LSJ 20081228]

That would be called a maneuver, not setting range.

Once set, the range cannot be changed.

If an effect "sets" the range of a round (and therefore skips the maneuver phase), no other effect can be used to reset the range. [RTR 19970630]

If it helps, treat "skip the Determine Range step..." as reminder text.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 07:34 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malachy

More
13 Feb 2012 08:33 #22917 by Malachy
Replied by Malachy on topic Re: "Set the range"
I see, thanks! And what if two "set the range" effects meet at the same "phase" (Sniper is triggered when the block happens so I believe the acting minion's before range cards that set the range don't help him, but sniper's effect doesn't work if one goes with Squirrel's Balance and so on...)? I suppose the acting minion's card has priority...

NC of Hungary

///

More
13 Feb 2012 12:24 #22931 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: "Set the range"

I see, thanks! And what if two "set the range" effects meet at the same "phase" (Sniper is triggered when the block happens so I believe the acting minion's before range cards that set the range don't help him, but sniper's effect doesn't work if one goes with Squirrel's Balance and so on...)? I suppose the acting minion's card has priority...

Once a "set range" effect has been used, no other set range effect may be used.
Usually, it's the acting player that can use his "set range" effect first (if any).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malachy

More
13 Feb 2012 15:40 #22933 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: "Set the range"

In general, the acting Methuselah has priority (the 'impulse') to play the next effect at all points, until they decline to play an effect in that timing window. So in general the acting Methuselah will get to do it first - thus preventing the defending Methuselah from playing a set range effect.

However, if the acting Methuselah declines to play an effect (passing the impulse to the defending Methuselah) and the defending Methuselah then chooses to set range. For example, if the defending Methuselah unexpectedly plays Shadow Step, the acting Methuselah then cannot play Selective Silence to force range to be close.

More
13 Feb 2012 16:38 #22936 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: "Set the range"
There are also some exceptions, like for example, if an Asanbonsam Ghoul blocks a d action, the range is set to close even before the combat starts so acting methuselah cannot set range.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds