file Bahari Vampires

28 Feb 2012 10:32 #24280 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Bahari Vampires

Well as I've mentioned in the past, it makes perfect sense for there two be two categories of weapons, based on their 'range of effectiveness'.

Can only cause damage/strike effectively at close range - Melee Weapon
Can cause damage/strike effectively at long range or close range - Ranged Weapon (i.e. Gun)

Of course not! That would be way too intuitive and not confusing enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2012 10:38 #24281 by jozxyqk
Replied by jozxyqk on topic Re: Bahari Vampires
If you're going to make game design changes and card text updates, that's fine.

But my general opinion about VTES and CCGs is treat the keywords as keywords. Ignore their "real world" meaning. If the rulebook or another game effect references that keyword, then follow the instructions.

Leaving room for "interpretation" only leads to more disagreements and confusion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
28 Feb 2012 11:10 #24282 by Juggernaut1981
Replied by Juggernaut1981 on topic Re: Bahari Vampires
There are some prime candidates for additions to the glossary:

Move
Steal
Transfer

These are obvious ones that should be defined somewhere, and their distinctions made public. Where there is no difference, we should consider retrospective errata to introduce the keyword. It is one of the things I think which would be a useful errata of a number of cards; to add in keywords and/or replace phrases with the keyword.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
28 Feb 2012 12:32 - 28 Feb 2012 12:37 #24284 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Bahari Vampires

Well as I've mentioned in the past, it makes perfect sense for there two be two categories of weapons, based on their 'range of effectiveness'.

Can cause damage/strike effectively at long range or close range - Ranged Weapon (i.e. Gun)

Many things make perfect sense (Aaron's Feeding Razor being a weapon etc.). That doesn't mean they must be done. I can't see the purpose of applying your suggestion apart of saying "it's closer to real life" which is non-sense in a game.
Talbot's chainsaw is a weapon by design, nothing else.

There are some prime candidates for additions to the glossary:

Move
Steal
Transfer

These are obvious ones that should be defined somewhere, and their distinctions made public. Where there is no difference, we should consider retrospective errata to introduce the keyword. It is one of the things I think which would be a useful errata of a number of cards; to add in keywords and/or replace phrases with the keyword.

Do you have any rule issue with those words?
Because basically they do the same thing, except that they're used in different context. "Steal" implies you move it from an "unwilling" minion (an opponent's one). It's clearer for human beings to understand.
Using always the exact same one word in that case is clearer for computers, not humans.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 28 Feb 2012 12:37 by Ankha.

More
28 Feb 2012 14:08 #24285 by etherial
Replied by etherial on topic Re: Bahari Vampires

Sweet! I'd love to be able to use ammo cards with the Ivory Bow. Note that, in the case of Mr. Winthrop, Retainer/Ally subtype was added in Final Nights and they decided to ensure that all Retainers and Allies had a subtype.

Non-Camarilla

More
28 Feb 2012 14:18 #24286 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: Bahari Vampires

Pedantry: You probably don't mean "i.e. gun" (which implies ranged weapon = gun), but "e.g. gun" (that gun is an example). There are various ranged weapons that aren't guns, and which wouldn't make sense as guns (with the implications that they can use ammo and magazines).

However, even with that sort of situation, I can imagine close-range only weapons where I wouldn't be altogether happy with them being 'melee weapons'. For example, if a weapon can deal damage but I wasn't altogether happy with it combining with Undead Strength, I might want to avoid it being a melee weapon. (For a weapon that doesn't deal damage, like Rowan Ring, it's less of an issue because adding to no damage still leaves you at no damage.) Obvious possibilities there would include:
  • electrical weapons, such as a cattle-prod, which I could reasonably see being something like: Strike: 2 damage, or 3 damage if the opponent is mortal
  • a contact poison (although I might not make that instant damage anyway)
  • a mystical artefact doing some sort of close-range magic damage

In any of those situations, were I a designer, I'd be quite pleased that melee weapon was an optional, commonly-used keyword to consider, rather than a definition.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds