file Beginner VTES player with some quetions

07 Jun 2012 22:16 #31827 by vtes1935
Hi all!,

I'm a bit confused about "R" damage - like if a card says "1R damage". What does it mean exactly? Let's say I was attacking with a card that said the above, would that be in addition to a hand strike - i'm lost. Also, I've been avoiding the political cards at the moment because I don't understand them. Can someone try to simplify the whole "political action" thing? I appreciate all or any help!

A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2012 22:22 #31828 by CryWolf
Welcome to the night. :)

R damage is damage during combat that is inflicted both at short and long range. For example, Carrion Crows does 2R damage at :ANI:.

You strike during combat with strike cards (i.e. the card says "Strike: _______"). If you play Carrion Crows before your strike card, say Aid from Bats (Strike: 1R damage, with an optional maneuver), then the effect is cumulative. 1R from AfB, 2R from Crows. So they add. :)

I'll leave the political actions to others who are more versed in them (I'm a combat junkie more than a political animal.)

HTH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vtes1935

More
07 Jun 2012 23:28 #31829 by 1up20x6
Politics are simple enough: You play a specific political card at +1 stealth and if neither your prey or predator successfully block it, the referendum is called.

Before any votes are played, you set the terms. For example, if you played Kine Resources Contested, this is when you choose who burns how much pool.

During the referendum, you get 1 vote for having played a political card. Every other Methuselah can discard one (and only one) political card to gain one vote. Whoever has the edge can burn it to gain a vote. Playing specific cards can get you more votes.

Ready vampires with titles (Primogen, Baron, Kholo, etc.) get votes. A vampire must cast all of his votes the same way, but a Methuselah controlling several sources of votes can cast any given source however he or she wants.

Once you cast a vote, you aren't allowed to change it. However, you need not cast votes in any order, and can abstain theoretically for as long as you want.

Also, if a vampire diablerizes another, a blood hunt is called. In this hunt, vampires can vote, the Edge and one political card from every Methuselah hand can be burned to gain a vote, but no cards can be played to gain any more, since it's not technically an action.

Any deck can win, whether you're using stealth bleed, rush combat, or Soul Gem combos. It doesn't matter if your minions use Auspex, Thaumaturgy, or Melpominee. What matters is the Methuselah uses Presence. That is how deals are made. That is how games are won.

No, you misunderstand. I don't want...

More
08 Jun 2012 04:14 #31837 by Haze

I'm a bit confused about "R" damage - like if a card says "1R damage". What does it mean exactly? Let's say I was attacking with a card that said the above, would that be in addition to a hand strike - i'm lost.

you can only choose one strike at a time. so if your minion has 1 strength (hand damage) and is equipped with a gun that says "Strike: 2R damage," and you also have a card in hand that says "Strike: 2 damage," you must choose one of the three options. next time your minion strikes, you choose again.

the gun's 2R damage will work at either close or long range. the others only work at close (you may still choose them at long range if you want, but they will simply whiff and do nothing).

there are some cards that will do damage but not say "Strike" -- this means it doesn't replace your strike selection. in this case you can add a hand strike, gun strike, etc. on top of it.

More
08 Jun 2012 13:28 #31861 by brandonsantacruz
In combat there are two ranges, close and long. Combat starts at close range by default. Strikes are normally only effective at close range, but they can be used at either. Default strike is hands at strength damage (1). If you have a card that says it does ranged damage or has a ranged effect (I.e unholy penance), then it works at either range. Some cards can only be played at a certain range (I.e. thrown sewer lid at long, anesthetic touch at close). In that case you want to make sure to be at the appropriate range, usually with maneuvers. Review the combat section of the rule book for the various phases of combat.

As for votes, it is a +1 stealth undirected action that leads to a referendum if unblocked. Next you may want to negotiate terms w fellow players(or not) before declaring terms. Next is the "before votes are cast" phase for cards like bribes. Now cast votes (see rule book). Finally, play cards at the end of action phase/"if referendum successful" phase. These include things like cryptic rider, freak drive, and voter captivation.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
09 Jun 2012 02:14 #31907 by glaswanderer
Another thing of note on political actions: all political actions are referendums, but not all referendums are political actions. This usually only comes up with situations like a Blood Hunt. Card text will specify if it can be used during a political action or a referendum.

Prince of Puyallup

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds