file Frontal Assault(s)

08 Aug 2013 12:34 - 08 Aug 2013 13:15 #52874 by yesferatu
Replied by yesferatu on topic Re: Frontal Assault(s)
Thanks for clarifying the ruling.
Those two rules looked contradictory to me.

I don't want to be a jerk about it, but cards are occasionally inconsistent and the examples used - even in the rules - don't always appear to apply.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2013 13:15 by yesferatu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2013 17:26 #52883 by delangen
Replied by delangen on topic Re: Frontal Assault(s)
I always tap my blood dolls and hunting grounds, and even do somehting with the edge IF I have it... just as a reminder that they have been used... this doesn't break any rules that I know of, does it?

:aus: :dom: :tha: :for: :trem:

More
08 Aug 2013 18:33 #52886 by Boris The Blade
It does, in case someone steals them. Tapping means the card is not usable until it untaps, which usually means until the begining of the next untap phase of their controller. Blood Doll and hunting grounds are usable once per untap/master phase of their controller. So if someone steals your hunting ground during their untap phase, then it would not untap, but it is still usable.

More
08 Aug 2013 19:37 #52899 by Pascal Bertrand

I always tap my blood dolls and hunting grounds, and even do somehting with the edge IF I have it... just as a reminder that they have been used... this doesn't break any rules that I know of, does it?

Not recommended.
You wouldn't tap, say, Owain Evans during your untap phase, just because you used his ability. You wouldn't do it, because nothing tells you to do it.

It could be confusing for other players to see a tapped card in your play area.

Suppose your vampire has a Blood Doll and a Corporal Reservoir, and one of them is tapped. Another player might assume that, since Blood Dolls can't tap (apart from Remover..), the tapped card has to be a Corporal Reservoir, and, thus, it's safe for him to hit your vampire for 1 agg.

I would recommend not to do what cards don't tell you to do.

Other "famous" examples: A player used Lilith's Blessing (before it was banned) and turned one of his minions to Bahari. He decided to use a coin to mark the vampire as Bahari. A while later, his predator saw 1 counter on his vampire, and assumed it was a blood counte (since nothing had been played that could have given that vampire a counter of any kind). His predator feared a Deflection would be played, and restricted his bleed.

Again : someone did something they weren't told, and caused a misrepresentation of the game state for another player.
Answering "If you had paid some attention, we woudln't be facing a situation" isn't right, as they did nothing wrong.

It's not difficult to remember which Vessels / Blood Dolls you've used. Usually, you only have 4 of them (tops). And the untap phase isn't that long (usually ... it's another affair with Nehemia + Heart of Nizchetus), and so is the master phase (barring any Ashur Tablets gimmicks).

So, again, I would recommend: stick to cardtext. At least, it's the same for everyone. Habits aren't. Or maybe they are, but only if you stick with the same group of players, with whom you share these habits.
Try to think as a new player entering the group "I don't understand why you tapped that Blood Doll when you used it, but not that .44 Magnum when you stroke with it.."

More
08 Aug 2013 21:00 #52910 by delangen
Replied by delangen on topic Re: Frontal Assault(s)
I suppose I could be nice and re-tap them at the end of the phase...

It gets confusing at end game...example from a few weeks ago:

My prey had to deal with: in play was Smiling jack w/5 on him, A Famed torporized vamp, an antediluvian awakening, a society of leopold, and a camarilla segregation... he also had the rack and a hunting ground... now add to the fact that we play for fun and always embibe the spirits... well it took several scenarios for him to work out one where he could survive, all the meanwhile the other meth's complaining about him going back and forth paying and unpaying, trying to figure out who burns what with which vamp... so eventually Tariq the silent survived the chaos to destroy Leandro for the table sweep...

I had a point... oh yeah... I ruled that he could do anything during his phase, it wasn'T like chess where once you take your hand off the piece it's Final...

:aus: :dom: :tha: :for: :trem:

More
09 Aug 2013 07:16 #52934 by Boris The Blade

Other "famous" examples: A player used Lilith's Blessing (before it was banned) and turned one of his minions to Bahari. He decided to use a coin to mark the vampire as Bahari. A while later, his predator saw 1 counter on his vampire, and assumed it was a blood counte (since nothing had been played that could have given that vampire a counter of any kind). His predator feared a Deflection would be played, and restricted his bleed.

That is (yet another) bug with Lilith's Blessing, not with any of the players involved. Any effect that grants a permanent trait must be associated with a visual reminder of some kind, because ten turns later it is impossible to remember who used Lilith or who went Anarch. If there is no card to put on the vampire, then it has to be a counter.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds