file Tribunal Judgment and cancelled votes

18 Oct 2013 21:28 #55457 by Caballero
Tribunal Judgment
[Political Action] Political Action

Requires a Sabbat vampire.
Choose a vampire who cast any votes in the most recent referendum (must be since your last turn). Successful referendum means that vampire takes X damage, where X is the number of votes he or she cast in that previous referendum.

If, during the last referendum, a vampire (eg: prince) cast his votes and then you cancelled those votes (say with Demonstration or Telepathic Vote Counting) does Tribunal Judgement deal any damage to that vampire?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2013 01:17 #55458 by Robert Scythe
I would say yes. In order to cancel votes they had to be cast in the first place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caballero

More
19 Oct 2013 13:12 #55462 by jamesatzephyr

I would say yes. In order to cancel votes they had to be cast in the first place.

Instinctively, I would want to rule the other way, but can't find backing for either point of view.

My issue is with other cards that look at how the votes were cast, which - to me - generally appear to be saying "If the vampire/Methuselah was casting votes in such a way at the time of tallying, then..."

For example:
Treachery -- Type: Reaction -- Discipline: Presence -- Cost: None
Only usable during a referendum before any votes and ballots are cast.
 If the referendum passes, the controller of the vampire calling the referendum burns 1 pool.
 As above, and any other Methuselahs who cast votes or ballots in favor of the referendum burn 1 pool when the votes are tallied.

The "when votes are tallied" there appears to apply only to the timing of the pool burn. Would we say that a Methuselah who cast votes against the referendum but then had them changed in favour (or forced to abstain) would burn pool? It's arguable. Instinctively, I'd say we wouldn't - but for the life of me, I can't find anyone asking a specific-enough question along these lines about any relevant card - pretty much everything I can find is the other way round, such as "Does someone else forcing me to vote the wrong way mean I suffer the penalty of a card like Treachery?" See also Scorn of Adonis and Bribes.

Perhaps more relevantly (but also without apparent questions on this):
King's Favor
This Guruhi gets 3 additional votes. If this Guruhi casts votes in favor, and the referendum passes by the number of votes this Guruhi cast or fewer, put this card in play.

I would very much suspect that the intent is to only use the vampire's state of voting when results are tallied. If the Favor-user casts their votes in favour and is then subsequently forced to abstain or vote against, it would seem weird for the Favor to go in play.

But I can't find precedent.

More
19 Oct 2013 14:21 #55463 by ReverendRevolver
This is rare. We normally have some aort of similar ruling.

Damn. Im at work, but my best idea is ask a magic 8 ball......(seriously. Buy one. Its a good edge....)

Id assume attempting to cast the votes counts. So id assume that cock robin would take 3, or 2 if hes wearing condemnation mute( hey, synergy.... sort of. Trade a damage for a burn a blood when it passes ;) )

But cancelling the votes means he still tried. Abstaning is zero, but im gonna go with casting is casting. Same issue as bribes, right? If you get your votes negated, do you gain pool?

More
19 Oct 2013 17:45 #55466 by AaronC
By the text of Tribunal Judgment, any casting of votes, regardless of whether they are cancelled, counts.

According to text, Bribes works the same way.

However, I agree with James that -intuitively- only votes that are part of the final tally should be counted.

From a management perspective, it seems easier to remember or record a vampire's ultimate vote in a referundum. A vampire could in theory vote for, against, and abstain all in the same referendum because of various effects, and it seems like too much of a pain to have to keep track of the entire history. It might already be hard to remember what the vampire's final vote was.

More
19 Oct 2013 23:16 - 19 Oct 2013 23:20 #55470 by Robert Scythe

From a management perspective, it seems easier to remember or record a vampire's ultimate vote in a referundum. A vampire could in theory vote for, against, and abstain all in the same referendum because of various effects, and it seems like too much of a pain to have to keep track of the entire history. It might already be hard to remember what the vampire's final vote was.

I cannot see how it may be "hard to remember what the vampire's final vote was" when that tally is integral to the final outcome of the referendum, due to passing or not passing and Voter Capping, etc. Also, Tribunal Judgment does not seem to care if a vampire's vote casting was successful or not, just if it was cast at all.

My last sentence was redundant, I'm a little drunk, apologies.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2013 23:20 by Robert Scythe.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds