file Dagger / Horrid Reality Interaction

16 May 2014 07:42 #62438 by Shockwave
This is an old question that I'm sure got asked on the Newsgroup, but I can't find it....

What happens at the end of a combat if you Horrid Reality a Dagger and throw it as your Strike? I'm assuming you'll keep it, because when the Burn clause from Horrid Reality triggers, it's not a Weapon, or in play. After the Action, it turns 'back into' a Dagger, and you end up keeping it.

Is this right?

Dagger
Melee weapon. Cold iron.
You may put a second Dagger from your hand or ash heap on this minion when you equip this Dagger from your hand. Strike: strength+1 damage. Alternatively, strike: strength ranged damage and, after strike resolution, put this weapon out of play until the end of the action. Burn this weapon if any damage from it is prevented.

Horrid Reality
Only usable before range is determined in combat.
[chi] Equip this minion with the first weapon you find in your library (working down from the top). This weapon does not contest any card in play. Do not pay the cost for this weapon. Shuffle afterward. At the end of the combat, burn the weapon if it is still in play.
[CHI] As above, but return the equipment to your library at the end of combat if it is still in play. Shuffle afterward.

:AUS: :FOR: :VAL: Here we go again....
Dave Knowles (Advanced)
Sabbat Bishop of Manchester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2014 07:50 #62439 by Ankha
You can order the effect the way you like. See also Dagger + Cleave:

groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/pL63VXEPGME/n2dEkxwYyjcJ

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
16 May 2014 08:00 #62441 by Shockwave
You actually can't in this case, the Dagger text triggers at the end of the action, the Horrid Reality text triggers at the end of the combat.

So in this case, you're effectively forced (say it's the only Dagger in your deck, and you have multiple Horrid Reality ) to keep the Dagger!

:AUS: :FOR: :VAL: Here we go again....
Dave Knowles (Advanced)
Sabbat Bishop of Manchester

More
16 May 2014 09:56 #62443 by Ankha

You actually can't in this case, the Dagger text triggers at the end of the action, the Horrid Reality text triggers at the end of the combat.

So in this case, you're effectively forced (say it's the only Dagger in your deck, and you have multiple Horrid Reality ) to keep the Dagger!

Hmpf, you're right (though I never had an official answer to the Freak Drive + Taste of Vitae question )

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
16 May 2014 10:40 #62444 by jamesatzephyr

Hmpf, you're right (though I never had an official answer to the Freak Drive + Taste of Vitae question )

That's just simple application of the rules.

Freak Drive can't be played in combat.

The only minion cards that can be played during combat are combat cards (unless a card states otherwise, of course).

So if you've legally played Freak Drive, you're after combat:
www.vekn.net/index.php/general-rulings

Combat occurs as part of the block - not after the block. (So Cats' Guidance and Freak Drive are played after the combat, not before). [RTR 19980623]

Since you're outside combat, you can't play Taste of Vitae.

The main minion card that does define an exception allowing itself to be played in combat is Legacy of Power:
Reaction.
Only usable when another vampire you control enters combat. Tap this reacting vampire and end combat. Each of the vampires involved in that combat goes to torpor.

As I recall, LSJ had stated that he wanted to fix this with an MRP change if the situation ever arose - probably to something like "... is about to... ; combat does not occur." But accidentally overlooked it when the Tenth Anniversary Tins were created, and it's not like it's ever been an uber-pressing issue.

More
16 May 2014 20:35 #62459 by Juggernaut1981
It would work the same way as Baal's Bloody Talons and Kerrie.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds