file Block after rebounce?

19 Jan 2015 14:08 - 19 Jan 2015 14:09 #68721 by yesferatu
Hey guys, I'm sorry to be asking this but I keep running into it and even the most seasoned of players can't give me a straight answer.

I'm bleeding my prey, an Auspex Assamite deck, for 2.
He has 1 untapped minion.
He plays Telepathic Misdirection to bounce me to his his prey and taps.
My grand prey bounces it back to him.
The Assamite Meth plays Black Sunrise to untap his vamp.
He attempts to block with that vamp.

Argument ensues.
1. Can that vamp block after the rebounce?
2. Can that vamp play the Black Sunrise if he can't block?

I understand the second bounce opens a window to play other reactions, but I could have sworn you can't block - with anybody - after playing a bounce.
Can somebody clarify that rule and find me a link? I can't seem to find anything (other than actual card text, which no one seems to believe).
Last edit: 19 Jan 2015 14:09 by yesferatu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2015 14:24 - 19 Jan 2015 16:47 #68722 by hardyrange
The ruling you are looking for is here:
www.vekn.net/general-rulings

Blocking:
•If the target of a directed action is reset, a new "choose blockers" opportunity results. [RTR 19970630]

So, after the bleed bouncing, all previous declarations of "No block" are void; you are allowed to choose new blockers.

Re your second question:

Black Sunrise
Reaction
Quietus
Only usable by a tapped vampire.
[qui] Only usable during a (D) action directed at you or something you control. This vampire untaps and attempts to block.
[QUI] As above, but usable on any action.

Black Sunrise can only be played if the reacting vampire is an eligible blocker, as that Card forces the Vampire to attempt to block.

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager
Last edit: 19 Jan 2015 16:47 by hardyrange.

More
19 Jan 2015 15:07 - 19 Jan 2015 15:07 #68723 by Pascek
Replied by Pascek on topic Re: Block after rebounce?
Based on the ruling mentioned by Hardyrange,

1 - yes

2 - no ( but explain the situation on this second question ).

:bruj: :DOM::FOR::POT::PRE::PRO:
Roberto Mautone Jr.
Praetor
Last edit: 19 Jan 2015 15:07 by Pascek.

More
19 Jan 2015 22:39 - 19 Jan 2015 22:39 #68732 by jamesatzephyr

I understand the second bounce opens a window to play other reactions, but I could have sworn you can't block - with anybody - after playing a bounce.

Bounces are played - by card text - 'after blocks are declined'.
Only usable when a minion is bleeding you, after blocks are declined. Tap this reacting vampire. Choose another Methuselah other than the acting minion's controller. The acting minion is now bleeding that Methuselah.

So when you play Telepathic Misdirection, people have already declined to block.

However, if the target of the bleed changes, a new blocking window opens, and people can choose to block (or not) again.

How can the target of a block not change when playing a bounce? Two obvious ways:

1) Cancel the bounce. So, A bleeds B. B intends to bounce to C. Blocks are declined. B plays Telepathic Misdirection. C plays Direct Intervention. No change of target, no new blocking window, so B takes the bleed.

2) My Enemy's Enemy. With two players left, it just bounces back to you, so no change of target.

1. Can that vamp block after the rebounce?
2. Can that vamp play the Black Sunrise if he can't block?

1) Any minion controlled by the new target can attempt to block, even if they declined before - with the exception of any vampires who've been specifically excluded. e.g. a vampire targeted by Seduction still can't block, a vampire hit by superior Elder Impersonation ("That minion cannot attempt to block this action again.") still can't block etc.

2) If a vampire wouldn't be an eligible blocker, he can't play Black Sunrise because he must attempt to block. However, a vampire who simply declined to block for whatever reason, followed by a bounce and a bounce back to that vampire's controller, would be an eligible blocker unless there was something else going on.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2015 22:39 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds