file Corner-case Thin-Blooded Seer question

16 Sep 2015 13:03 #73156 by jamesatzephyr
Today in "someone was unhelpful enough to play awful cards in horrifying combinations"...

I control Thin-Blooded Seer, who has this relevant bit of text: "Cards that cost blood cost this vampire twice as much blood to play."

I put some discipline masters on it, and put a Succulent Vitae on him: "When this vampire plays a card that requires Quietus [qui] , he or she may burn this card to reduce the cost of that card by 1 blood."

I play a card that requires Quietus that costs 1 blood, such as Taste of Death.

Does RTR 2007-07-07 apply, meaning that the doubling happens before I can reduce the cost? Or does it operate on the cost at the end of the ordinary arithmetic? Or something else?
All cost-affecting cards operate no matter how the card is played ("as normal"
or otherwise). All multiplication and division is handled first, followed by
addition and subtraction.

Note that pay nothing still means pay nothing, even if something else would add
to the cost. So costs for cards canceled by Sudden Reversal or Direct
Intervention are still not paid, for example. And Bauble and Horrid Reality
still gets weapons for free. And similar for Helena and Dragos.

Would anything in your answer change if Thin-Blooded Seer used Sunset Strip instead, which affects the cost to recruit, but doesn't specifically say it affects the cost of the card? "Tap to reduce the cost to recruit a mortal ally or employ a mortal retainer by 1 blood or pool..."

Succulent Vitae, Action Modifier
[qui] Only usable when a hunt action is successful. Place this card on this acting vampire. When this vampire plays a card that requires Quietus [qui] , he or she may burn this card to reduce the cost of that card by 1 blood.
[QUI] As above, and gain an additional blood from this hunt action.

Thin-Blooded Seer, Action
1 Blood
Requires a ready non-sterile vampire of capacity less than 3.
Put this card into play; it becomes a 1-capacity vampire. This vampire is clanless and sterile. This vampire is not considered unique, must hunt this turn and is the same sect as the acting vampire. Cards that cost blood cost this vampire twice as much blood to play. During your untap phase, you may tap this vampire to look at the top two cards of any Methuselah's library.

Sunset Strip, Hollywood
Master, 1 Pool
Master: unique location.
Tap to give all vampires +1 stealth on hunt actions until your next untap phase. Tap to reduce the cost to recruit a mortal ally or employ a mortal retainer by 1 blood or pool (but never less than 0 blood or pool).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2015 13:12 #73157 by Ankha

I play a card that requires Quietus that costs 1 blood, such as Taste of Death.

Does RTR 2007-07-07 apply, meaning that the doubling happens before I can reduce the cost?

Correct.
Taste of Death would cost 2, or 1 if you use the Succulent Vitae.

Would anything in your answer change if Thin-Blooded Seer used Sunset Strip instead, which affects the cost to recruit, but doesn't specifically say it affects the cost of the card? "Tap to reduce the cost to recruit a mortal ally or employ a mortal retainer by 1 blood or pool..."

It's the same (assuming you're talking about a blood cost of an ally recruited by the Thin-Blooded Seer).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
17 Sep 2015 04:15 #73166 by Pascal Bertrand
Despite vast inconsistencies by Scott (remember the Nocturn thingy?), let's apply the genric formula indeed : Taste of Death would effectively cost Thin Blooded Seer 2 blood.

More
17 Sep 2015 06:19 #73169 by Brum

Today in "someone was unhelpful enough to play awful cards in horrifying combinations"...

Sérgio?
Is that you?

More
17 Sep 2015 07:51 #73170 by Sérgio
I neither play awful cards in "horrifying combinations" nor do I chastise people for doing so.

…ok, the first part is true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, Asnek

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds