lock Is the unnamed non-unique?

19 Nov 2015 09:51 #74416 by BenPeal
This card has "The unnamed" as its name:

www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?crypt=1364

From the rulebook (1.5.1), about the names of crypt cards:

Name: The name of the vampire appears at the top of the card. Each crypt card is unique, so only one copy of each can be in play at a time. A second Methuselah could contest control of the vampire (see Contested Cards, sec. 4.1), which means that the Methuselahs are struggling for control of him.

From the rulebook, about when cards contest:

4.1. Contested Cards

Some of the cards in the game represent unique resources, such as specific locations, equipment or people. These cards will be identified as "unique" in their card text. In addition, all crypt cards represent unique minions. If more than one unique card with the same name is brought into play, that means control of the card is being contested. For the duration of the contest, all of the contested cards are turned face down and are out of play. If another unique card with the same name is brought into play, it is immediately contested and turned face down as well.

However, the game's official language is English, and in English, something that is "unnamed" has no name.

Based on all of this, the unnamed is unique but has no name. Therefore, if two or more copies of the unnamed are in play, they do not contest because they do not have the same name - they have no name at all.

Can I get a member of the Rules Team who is a native English speaker to confirm this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981, Kushiel, Jussi
The topic has been locked.
More
19 Nov 2015 10:40 #74418 by M.Schumacher
More
19 Nov 2015 10:41 #74419 by BenPeal

Attachment pun-dog-pun-husky-00_2015-11-19.jpg not found

Attachments:
More
19 Nov 2015 11:21 - 19 Nov 2015 11:22 #74422 by Ankha
An empty set is not the same as a set containing the empty set.

An unnamed card is not the same as a card whose name is "unnamed, The".

But if Ben starts trolling too, we're doomed :)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 19 Nov 2015 11:22 by Ankha.
More
19 Nov 2015 12:26 #74426 by Pascal Bertrand

Based on all of this, the unnamed is unique but has no name. Therefore, if two or more copies of the unnamed are in play, they do not contest because they do not have the same name - they have no name at all.

Can I get a member of the Rules Team who is a native English speaker to confirm this?

This is something I can't do. The initial assumptions are wrong.
More
19 Nov 2015 13:58 #74432 by Jesper

But if Ben starts trolling too, we're doomed :)

I dont know if you are claiming I am trolling in the pursuit to get clear rules??

Ben: you might differ in my and other players oppinion that the rules need a redo.Making the streamlined, intuative so you actully can play the game, only with the cards and the rulebook in hand. So be it I can live with you and me not agreeing.

You might make fun of me, wanting a propper definition on what "a baron" means. But when even you and Hugh cant agree on what "a baron" means. I really cant see why it is irrelevant asking what "a baron" means in the english language.

/Jesper
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds