file Allies and vampire disciplines (Specifically the Nocturn)

02 Oct 2018 12:43 #90905 by Boris The Blade
To be fair, paying at strike resolution would probably be an improvement over the current rule. It would be a simplification, would increase the value of currently unplayable strike cards, and would provide situations where Dodge might be more interesting than Combat Ends.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2018 16:47 #90912 by ReverendRevolver

To be fair, paying at strike resolution would probably be an improvement over the current rule. It would be a simplification, would increase the value of currently unplayable strike cards, and would provide situations where Dodge might be more interesting than Combat Ends.

I agree that it would be quite interesting. I think the current way flows more intuitively (you still strike regardless of if it hits), but truckloads of cards that would need light to intense erratta to otherwise be playable would suddenly become an option if S:CE didn't make them such a liability.
Top of my head:
Body Flare, Coma, and Bonecraft.
I'm not super adamant about a change being needed though, as this would be counterintuitive to cards that grant manuevers but are Also a strike (and cost, of course) .
But it's not a super alluring thing compared to other changes or even just cost errata on some cards.

More
03 Oct 2018 06:55 #90934 by Ankha

To be fair, paying at strike resolution would probably be an improvement over the current rule. It would be a simplification,

All the cards (except action cards) are paid when played. How adding a new exception would simplify the rules?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
03 Oct 2018 11:56 - 03 Oct 2018 11:58 #90936 by Bloodartist
I also don't think changing strike costs to be paid when resolving the strike would simplify anything, quite the contrary. I consider the current system to be simpler. You play a card and you pay for it. Simple, yes?

The suggestion would introduce a period of time during which opponent can play cards that change your calculations, and introduce new rules quirks to remember, such as what happens when you take enviromental damage during strike resolution. Which happens first? Do you get to pay or not? Theft of vitae, etc. In fact any damage taken would already create a conundrum between paying for costs and losing blood at the same time.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 03 Oct 2018 11:58 by Bloodartist.

More
04 Oct 2018 00:40 - 04 Oct 2018 00:40 #90960 by Boris The Blade

All the cards (except action cards) are paid when played. How adding a new exception would simplify the rules?

But all the cards (except action cards) resolve when played, and action cards are paid when they resolve. So the general rule is: all cards are paid when they resolve.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2018 00:40 by Boris The Blade.

More
04 Oct 2018 05:49 #90963 by Ankha

But all the cards (except action cards) resolve when played, and action cards are paid when they resolve. So the general rule is: all cards are paid when they resolve.

No, because your rule doesn't work for combat card. Did you mean "the general rule could be"?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds