file Change of Target changed?

01 Mar 2019 00:56 #93794 by Cat_in_Exile
Does Change of Target not unlock both the acting and blocking minions anymore?

New text from Libertine Ball deck:

Change of Target
Only usable if this minion is blocked, before block resolution.
Unlock this acting minion, and the action ends (unsuccessfully). This minion cannot perform the same action again this turn.
Action Modifier
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaakkon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2019 01:30 #93795 by Kushiel
Replied by Kushiel on topic Change of Target changed?
It's never unlocked the blocking minion.

However, it is now missing the "do not [lock] the blocking minion" text. I assume this is a mistake, since this is a massive buff to the card, and it wasn't mentioned in any of the updated card text announcements I've seen.

More
01 Mar 2019 01:33 - 01 Mar 2019 01:34 #93796 by TwoRazorReign
I think the text was changed because it is before "block resolution." So the blocking minion would not be locked yet when playing the card. Not 100% sure, because "block resolution" wasn't really a thing until now.

(And to the rules people who may read this: yes, I understand that resolving block attempts always existed, I'm saying "block resolution" as a game term is new and I'm unsure exactly which steps that always existed are involved in "block resolution" because it's not defined in the current rulebook (or, at least 6.2.2 does not define it).
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 01:34 by TwoRazorReign.

More
01 Mar 2019 02:25 - 01 Mar 2019 03:02 #93797 by Cat_in_Exile

It's never unlocked the blocking minion.

Meh, you know what I meant :P

And yes, this would be a big buff, but decks like Libertine Ball, which can usually only generate +1 stealth, could really use something like this.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 03:02 by Cat_in_Exile.

More
01 Mar 2019 07:40 - 01 Mar 2019 07:40 #93802 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Change of Target changed?

Does Change of Target not unlock both the acting and blocking minions anymore?

New text from Libertine Ball deck:

Change of Target
Only usable if this minion is blocked, before block resolution.
Unlock this acting minion, and the action ends (unsuccessfully). This minion cannot perform the same action again this turn.
Action Modifier

The existing rulebook will be updated soon to mention explicitely the terms of "block resolution". Currently, the rulebook indicates:

6.2.3. Resolve the Action
If the action is successful (all block attempts were unsuccessful), then the cost of the action is paid and the effects of the successful action take place. If the action is blocked, then any card played to take the action is burned (it is moved to the ash heap) and the blocking minion is locked and enters combat with the acting minion (see Combat, sec. 6.4). The effects of the action do not take place when the action is blocked. Note that the action's cost, if any, is only paid if the action succeeds; the cost is not paid if the action is blocked. The costs of action modifiers and reaction cards are always paid when the cards are played, regardless of the success of the action.

The part in bold is what is now called the block resolution.

So Change of Target ends the action before the blocking minion "is locked and enters combat".

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 07:40 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vragozakas, Kushiel, ruiza97, TwoRazorReign, jaakkon, Kodanshi

More
02 Mar 2019 19:03 #93808 by ruiza97
Replied by ruiza97 on topic Change of Target changed?
I'm constantly reminding my players to just announce who is attempting to block the action but not lock the minion until the action is successfully blocked.

Prince of Dallas
Toreador Grand Ball: Dallas
August 13, 2022
The following user(s) said Thank You: Timo, rockete

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds