file Action Modifiers Played at Beginning and End of an Action

24 Apr 2019 22:44 #94651 by Killiam
Some disagreements recently arose having to do with the timing windows for playing action modifiers:

1. Is a Methuselah permitted to play an action modifier during the as-announced window of action declaration, assuming said modifier does not specify when it is to be played?
1a. For instance, could I play a Conditioning as I declare a bleed in the hopes of drawing into and playing a Seduction afterward?

2. Freak Drive specifies that it is played “at the end” of an action. Once Freak Drive has been played, can other action modifiers be played afterward?
For example:
2a. Can I play Daring the Dawn after Freak Drive?
2b. Can I play Voter Captivation after Freak Drive?

Thanks!
-Bill

Name: Seduction
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Dominate
Only usable as the action is announced.
[dom] Choose a younger vampire. The chosen vampire cannot block this action.
[DOM] As above, but choose any vampire.

Name: Conditioning
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Dominate
Only usable during a bleed action.
[dom] +2 bleed (limited).
[DOM] +3 bleed (limited).

Name: Freak Drive
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Fortitude
[for] Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving the action). This vampire unlocks.
[FOR] As above, but usable even if the action is blocked (play after combat, if any).

Name: Daring the Dawn
Discipline: Fortitude
[for] Vampires cannot block this action. The acting vampire takes 2 unpreventable aggravated damage after the action resolves.
[FOR] As above, but the acting vampire takes 1 unpreventable aggravated damage.

Name: Voter Captivation
Discipline: Presence
Only usable after resolving a successful referendum called by this acting vampire.
 The acting vampire gains X blood from the blood bank, where X is the number of votes by which the referendum passed.
 As above, but move up to 2 of those blood counters to your pool instead of this vampire.

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"How did some slip of a girly boy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?" -Hedwig Robinson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2019 07:20 - 25 Apr 2019 07:21 #94652 by Ankha

Some disagreements recently arose having to do with the timing windows for playing action modifiers:

1. Is a Methuselah permitted to play an action modifier during the as-announced window of action declaration, assuming said modifier does not specify when it is to be played?
1a. For instance, could I play a Conditioning as I declare a bleed in the hopes of drawing into and playing a Seduction afterward?

No.

2. Freak Drive specifies that it is played “at the end” of an action. Once Freak Drive has been played, can other action modifiers be played afterward?

Freak Drive is played after action resolution. Other modifiers that are played after action resolution can be played.

For example:

No. Daring the Dawn is not usable after action resolution. By default, action modifiers must be played before action resolution.

2b. Can I play Voter Captivation after Freak Drive?

Yes, Voter Captivation is played "after resolving a successful referendum" which is the same window as "after action resolution" (since the end of the action resolution in that case is the end of the the resolution of the referendum).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 25 Apr 2019 07:21 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killiam, beslin igor

More
25 Apr 2019 15:49 #94668 by Killiam
Thanks!

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"How did some slip of a girly boy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?" -Hedwig Robinson

More
26 Apr 2019 08:43 #94676 by Whisker

For example:

No. Daring the Dawn is not usable after action resolution. By default, action modifiers must be played before action resolution.

Wow, it seems I have been playing Daring wrong in my chain of command deck, where I would blow up my chained minion after the bleed resolves to possess them back afterwards. Hmrph, I guess I need give my opponents a change to bounce the unblockable bleed after all.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds