file Compel the spirit or Summon spirit beast and Raptor.

18 Feb 2020 22:36 #99016 by Ravapra
Could I move a retainer at superior if I meet the requriments? The Raptor is a retainer with the same amount of life at basic o superior level so, I don't find the reason I couldn't move it at superior level if the acting vampire has the required Necromancy level for Compel the spirit or Spiritus for Summon spirit beast and superior Animalism for the superior level ability.
Thank you for your responses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 23:04 - 18 Feb 2020 23:05 #99017 by jamesatzephyr

Could I move a retainer at superior if I meet the requriments?

No. If a card with a discipline requirement comes in via some unorthodox method (such as a "move" or "place" card text), then you get the basic version.

www.vekn.net/general-rulings
If a retainer which requires a Discipline to be employed is brought into play by a means other than "Employ Retainer", treat it as if it were brought into play with the basic version of the Discipline. [RTR 19960221]

If you want to get it at superior, you need to either employ it the normal way, or use a card that has the "employ" verb, such as Nsoferatu Bestial (if given superior Animalism) or Muricia's Call. [LSJ 20030703]

> it {Nosferatu Bestial} says it _has_ basic animalism. it doesn't say that the employing of
> the retainer is at basic animalism, it just says _requires_ animalism,
> with no mention of what level.
> it does, however, mention that the Bestial must meet the requirments
> of the card. So if Bestial has superior animalism, then it can employ
> retainers that require superior animalism.

Correct.

> same goes for muricia's call at inferior animalism. you can still
> employ the retainer you find in your library at superior animalism, if
> you have it.

Correct.

Summon Spirit Beast: "Move X animal retainers from your ash heap to this vampire, with life from the blood bank equal to their starting amounts. After this minion phase ends, burn those retainers."
Compel the Spirit: "[nec] Move an ally or retainer that was burned from play since your last turn from your ash heap to your hand.
[NEC] As above, but move it to your ready region (ignore requirements and cost) with X life from the blood bank, where X is the starting life of the ally or retainer. If it is a retainer, place it on the acting minion."
Last edit: 18 Feb 2020 23:05 by jamesatzephyr.

More
18 Feb 2020 23:24 #99018 by Kilrauko

Could I move a retainer at superior if I meet the requriments? The Raptor is a retainer with the same amount of life at basic o superior level so, I don't find the reason I couldn't move it at superior level if the acting vampire has the required Necromancy level for Compel the spirit or Spiritus for Summon spirit beast and superior Animalism for the superior level ability.
Thank you for your responses.

No, cards only grant their superior effects if something specifically checks or mentions it. Longer detail below.

Name: Raptor
[Sabbat:U, CE:U, Third:U]
Cardtype: Retainer
Cost: 2 blood
Discipline: Animalism
Animal with 1 life.
[ani] The minion with this retainer gets +1 intercept.
[ANI] As above, and when the minion with this retainer is in combat, the opposing minion's controller gets -1 hand size.
Artist: Ron Spencer

Name: Compel the Spirit
[DS:U2, FN:PG, LotN:PG]
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Necromancy
+1 stealth action.
[nec] Move an ally or retainer that was burned from play since your last turn from your ash heap to your hand.
[NEC] As above, but move it to your ready region (ignore requirements and cost) with X life from the blood bank, where X is the starting life of the ally or retainer. If it is a retainer, place it on the acting minion.
Artist: Stuart Beel; Eric Deschamps

Name: Summon Spirit Beast
[LoB:R]
Cardtype: Combat/Reaction
Cost: X blood
Discipline: Spiritus/Animalism
[ani] [COMBAT] Discard X cards.
[spi] [COMBAT][REACTION] Move X animal retainers from your ash heap to this vampire, with life from the blood bank equal to their starting amounts. After this minion phase ends, burn those retainers.
[SPI] As [spi] above, but the retainers are not burned until after the end of your next minion phase.
Artist: Andrew Trabbold

As neither card is "employ a retainer or recruit ally" action, and instead they move or place to the targets to their respective minions/area, the requirements that grant the superior variant are not checked unless specifically mentioned by the card text. It is not the case and the cards are normal variant as is specifically mentioned in the recruit ally portion of the rulebook 6.1.5.

" If recruiting the ally requires a Discipline and the ally is put into play by some means other than recruiting, use the normal version of the ally, if it is different than the superior."

LSJ has in the past, 2006, commented specifically on Summon the spirit Beast with following.

groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/v4aOOK57BzM/xRTLPEIR79IJ

wrote:
> The Lasombra wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 01:16:31 +0200, Sten During <> wrote:
> > >Cardname: Summon Spirit Beast
> > >[spi] [COMBAT][REACTION] Move X animal retainers from your ash heap to
> > >this vampire, with life from the blood bank equal to their starting
> > >amounts. After this minion phase ends, burn those retainers.
> > >[SPI] As [spi] above, but the retainers are not burned until after the
> > >end of your next minion phase.
> >
> > >I can grab ANY animal retainers from my ash heap. Requirements doesn't
> > >matter?
> >
> > Requirements are not checked. This is not a employ retainer action.
> > Compare to Ambrosius the Ferryman.
> >
> > >It follows the "If I could have played the retainer at superior it works
> > >at superior, otherwise works at inferior" -scheme (provided that the
> > >animal retainer required a discipline to begin with)?
> >
> > Yes, it does.
>
> What about the following ruling:
> "If a retainer which requires a Discipline to be employed is brought
> into play by a means other than "Employ Retainer", treat it as if it
> were brought into play with the basic version of the Discipline. "
>
> As you say Summon the Spirit Beast is not an employ retainer action so
> wouldn't the retainers be treated as if they were brought into play
> with the basic version of the discipline?

Correct. The requirements are not checked, and the retainers that have
Discipline requirements are brought in at the basic level.

Trust in Jan Pieterzoon.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds