question-circle cards that can only be played once per combat vs being cancelled

08 Mar 2020 00:59 #99208 by d-mohn
If a card like Carrion Crows or groaning corpses at superior get cancelled by something like Direct intervention or death seeker, are you allowed to play another one despite the gamestate remembering they had been played?

it seems to me that you wouldn't able to but I'v gotten conflicting responses

Carrion Crows -- Type: Combat -- Discipline: Animalism -- Cost: None
Only usable before range is chosen.
[ani] The opposing minion takes 1R damage each round of combat during strike resolution. A vampire can play only one Carrion Crows each combat.
[ANI] As above, but for 2R damage.

Groaning Corpse -- Type: Combat -- Discipline: Thanatosis -- Cost: X blood
Only usable before range is determined.
[thn] X is the number of Groaning Corpses already played this combat. The opposing minion takes 1 damage each round of combat during strike resolution if the range is close.
[THN] As above, but for 2 damage. A vampire may play only one Groaning Corpse at superior each combat.

Direct Intervention -- Type: Master -- Cost: 1 pool
Master: out-of-turn.
Cancel a minion card as it is played. No cost is paid. (If it was an action card, the acting minion doesn't lock. If it was a strike card, the minion chooses another strike.)

Death Seeker -- Type: Combat -- Clan: Salubri antitribu -- Cost: 1 blood
Cancel a combat card played by the opposing minion as it is played (no cost is paid). A vampire can play only one Death Seeker each round.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2020 07:55 - 08 Mar 2020 07:55 #99209 by jamesatzephyr

If a card like Carrion Crows or groaning corpses at superior get cancelled by something like Direct intervention or death seeker, are you allowed to play another one despite the gamestate remembering they had been played?

If the card is cancelled, the game remembers that you've played it but it had no effect. That means that the "A vampire can play only one Carrion Crows each combat." text on that card had no effect. But the second copy of Carrion Crows - the one you want to play - also has the "A vampire can play only one Carrion Crows each combat." So when you go to play the second copy, its own card text prevents you from doing so.

It's similar with Immortal Grapple, but once per round rather than once per combat: "A vampire may play only one Immortal Grapple each round."

Similar with Ancient Influence. If the first one gets DI-ed, the second one will notice it's being played and stop it: "Only one Ancient Influence can be played or called in a game."

For example, [LSJ 20011025]

> My vampire opposes Watenda in combat. I decide to play Carrion Crows and
> Watenda uses his special ability to nullify the effect of the Crows. Can I
> now play a second Carrion Crows since the effect was completely cancelled or
> is the "only one Carrion Crows"-clause still in effect?

The card text of the new (second) would-be Carrion Crows will self-prohibit
(even though the prohibition on the first card was canceled).

Last edit: 08 Mar 2020 07:55 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ke., d-mohn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds