question-circle environmental damage

09 Oct 2020 10:58 #100897 by Bloodartist
Replied by Bloodartist on topic environmental damage

I don't know why there's this aversion to admitting that the game uses keywords when it clearly does.

I'd say because there is a pathological need of doing everything backwards in the rules committee.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2020 13:51 #100899 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic environmental damage

You could call it "adjective" rather than "keyword" for all it matters.

Okay, so nothing in V:TES is described as a keyword. I think everybody gets that. The problem is you go off on this tangent to call "environmental" an adjective, but then later on describe "wake" as a "term." Why is wake not solely a verb but also a "term?"

The real heart of the point Lonnka was making (I think) is not necessarily that there needs to be an actual "keyword," but rather some form of identifying and describing the this mechanic of damage used in the game in a simplistic manner. I think Lonnka just happened to use "keyword" for lack of a better description, which led to your befuddling post about adjectives and verbs. All I read with your post is "I'm the rulemonger and it's an adjective!" I have no idea what this means. So I ask you, is "environmental" a term like "wake" or not? If not, how is it different? What does any of this have to do with parts of speech?

To everyone else: Yes, "keywords" exist in VTES, but they are used in unique ways that differ from preconceived notions of how a keyword would normally function; thus the term "keyword" is not used in VTES. Glad we cleared that up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
09 Oct 2020 14:50 - 09 Oct 2020 14:53 #100900 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic environmental damage
I think that what Ankha is saying is that as the "rulemonger", his posts are referenced for ruling and so he must be careful about which term he uses when speaking about rules.

So he prefers sticking to things already explained in the rulebook or on cards and "keyword" is not one of those.

But "environmental damage", "wake", or "term" are and so he prefers sticking to those.

And "wake" is a term because it is described in the "special terms" section of the rulebook.

As I see it, if Ankha is consistent in the vocabulary he uses (in the official forum and in the rulebook) it allows people looking for answers about rules to have some kind of consistency in what is what.

If I remember correctly, it was not the case with LSJ and it lead to some confusions in some cases (for example, environmental damage which was never explained in the rulebook before and was used in a lot of rulings).
Last edit: 09 Oct 2020 14:53 by Timo.

More
09 Oct 2020 15:12 - 09 Oct 2020 15:13 #100901 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic environmental damage

I think that what Ankha is saying is that as the "rulemonger", his posts are referenced for ruling and so he must be careful about which term he uses when speaking about rules.

So he prefers sticking to things already explained in the rulebook or on cards and "keyword" is not one of those.

Exactly.

You could call it "adjective" rather than "keyword" for all it matters.

Okay, so nothing in V:TES is described as a keyword. I think everybody gets that. The problem is you go off on this tangent to call "environmental" an adjective

I think you got it wrong.
I personally never called it that way. I said "You could call it "adjective" rather than "keyword" for all it matters." I don't control words used by other people.
People can use whatever word they want.
As a rulemonger, I try to stick to the official VTES vocabulary.

, but then later on describe "wake" as a "term." Why is wake not solely a verb but also a "term?"

Because it's listed in the "special terms" section (until the next rulebook, where it will be listed in the "glossary" section)

So I ask you, is "environmental" a term like "wake" or not? If not, how is it different? What does any of this have to do with parts of speech?

In the V5 rulebook, it will be listed in the "glossary" section. It doesn't have a specific name so you are free to call it as you want as long as it doesn't conflict with official terms. For instance, "environmental" is not a "trait" as the list of traits is finite, and it doesn't belong to it.

As for "are they different?", since it doesn't matter rulewise (unless you have a rule question about them), there is no need to answer that question. (but since they don't serve the same purpose, they are probably different).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 09 Oct 2020 15:13 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds