question-circle Ashur Tablets discard timing

04 Nov 2020 07:17 #101059 by drnlmza

I don't see a reason to enforce a particular ordering. It would be foolish to put the cards in the library before placing one into hand, since that would forced to draw to hand size immediately, and then a discard when you finally place the last card into your hand.

But doesn't the card text answer this? Ashur Tablets specifies "move one of the chosen cards to your hand and shuffle the others in your library." What's the argument that this allows these steps to be done in any order?

--
National Coordinator
South Africa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2020 08:53 #101060 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic Ashur Tablets discard timing

If the library is empty, or almost empty, the odds of the replacement card being one of the 12 can be relevant. So the presence or absence from the library at the time of replacement could matter.

Example: 1 card left in my library, which I know is useless to me. Tablets will place 12 good cards in my library. If I replace BEFORE the re-shuffle, I get the useless card. Otherwise, I most likely get a good card.

Almost. Your library would need to be empty and you'd need to have less than a full hand of cards to draw anything during the Ashur Tablets resolution.

I guess that's the case this question is for. I don't see a reason to enforce a particular ordering. It would be foolish to put the cards in the library before placing one into hand, since that would forced to draw to hand size immediately, and then a discard when you finally place the last card into your hand.

i would think that even this case would not have any problem :

you have 7 cards in hand and an empty library

You play an ashur tablet and try to draw a replacement
no draw

You gain 3 pools and shuffle 12 cards in your library and 1 in hand

you have 7 cards in hand and 12 cards in your library and no need to discard down because you don't have an extra card in hand.

Nothing in ashur tablet card text force you to discard at any moment.

It is the rules which make you discard if you have too many cards in hand.

More
04 Nov 2020 09:10 - 04 Nov 2020 09:11 #101061 by lip
Replied by lip on topic Ashur Tablets discard timing
Thank you all for your answers. You're right, the order of effects is moot, as you do not draw back from this discard, which I overlooked (I was quite tired and just noted the question as it arose during a game).

I'm still a bit curious about the actual order of effects but will definitely need to come up with a better example where it matters ☺︎
Last edit: 04 Nov 2020 09:11 by lip.

• lip
  • lip's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Methuselah
  • Methuselah
  • Archivist
More
04 Nov 2020 21:05 #101066 by kschaefer

I don't see a reason to enforce a particular ordering. It would be foolish to put the cards in the library before placing one into hand, since that would forced to draw to hand size immediately, and then a discard when you finally place the last card into your hand.

But doesn't the card text answer this? Ashur Tablets specifies "move one of the chosen cards to your hand and shuffle the others in your library." What's the argument that this allows these steps to be done in any order?

I don't think there is an argument to allow them to be done in any order. I was merely asserting that if any order were permissible (what OP was questioning), then you're actually at a disadvantage to put cards into your library prior to putting one in your hand.

I agree that the card text seems clear, but heretofore the responses have all been, why would the ordering even matter.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds