file Damage Immunity

24 Mar 2021 13:27 - 24 Mar 2021 13:32 #101937 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Damage Immunity

Damage has no effect on a minion who is immune to damage.

does it still count as being inflicted for cards that might check that sort of thing? (Taste and Disarm have language that makes the point moot) is the damage prevented completely? or is it reduced to 0? I'm sure there's some kind of corner case that may apply...

Yes. Damage is inflicted, but has no effect.

groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/30BOLorrsjA/m/MGHFmBtWRt0J

The minion who is immune to damage may choose to prevent any of it. Any damage that is not prevented is inflicted unsuccessfully (it's not automatically prevented, nor reduced to 0). So the minion won't burn blood or life to mend the damage or to prevent destruction, nor become wounded because of damage.

Found a corner case where it might be relevant:

Weighted Walking Stick

Only usable before range is determined during the first round of combat.
Put this card with 5 counters on it on this minion; it becomes a melee weapon equipment that can strike: strength+1 damage. For each damage inflicted by this strike (even if prevented), burn 1 counter from this card. Burn this card if it has no counters. A minion can have only one Weighted Walking Stick.

So if e.g. Mictlantecuhtli, who is immune to damage from weapons is hit with a Weighted Walking Stick, does it burn counters?

It does.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 24 Mar 2021 13:32 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yomyael, lip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2021 15:34 #101938 by Ankha

Check the Codex when you find an example with cards. i.e. on Miclantecuhtli

I understand the intent with this reply was to indicate that this rulings exist outside the official rulebook, and to simply point people in that direction. But there's still too many threads post-rulebook revision where someone quotes a 20-year-old ruling and is like "would you check the rulings before posting, you dumb player?" (again, likely not your intention with your reply, but it may come across that way to the people asking for clarification).

The rulebook was heavily revised recently, and immune and inflict weren't defined. There may be a reason for that, but this "rulesmonger has spoken/already spoken" approach to communicating rules historically prevalent on this forum the past decade and the newsgroup 1994-2010 is really not a good look in 2021, in my opinion. Especially with the rulebook being recently revised. 

The rulebook will be updated.

Prince of Paris, France
The following user(s) said Thank You: lip, deslaure

More
24 Mar 2021 17:06 - 24 Mar 2021 17:07 #101939 by Hobbesgoblin
Replied by Hobbesgoblin on topic Damage Immunity

The minion who is immune to damage may choose to prevent any of it. Any damage that is not prevented is inflicted unsuccessfully (it's not automatically prevented, nor reduced to 0). So the minion won't burn blood or life to mend the damage or to prevent destruction, nor become wounded because of damage.

does that mean, that an immune minion is still subject to effects that only care aoubt "inflicted damage" wich is not necessarily sucessful?

ie, could Mictlantecuhtli's fangs be pulled if he would hit a lot by a weapon? (since it does not mention "sucessfully")

Pulled Fangs

Other notably moreedge-casey cards that are affected by this question:
Drink the Blood of Ahriman

Revelation of Wrath

Last edit: 24 Mar 2021 17:07 by Hobbesgoblin.

More
24 Mar 2021 17:20 - 24 Mar 2021 17:21 #101940 by Ankha

does that mean, that an immune minion is still subject to effects that only care aoubt "inflicted damage" wich is not necessarily sucessful?

ie, could Mictlantecuhtli's fangs be pulled if he would hit a lot by a weapon? (since it does not mention "sucessfully")

This is a mistake since the rulings mention that the damage must be inflicted successfully. I'll update the official cardtext.

Other notably moreedge-casey cards that are affected by this question:
Drink the Blood of Ahriman

The damage is inflicted (even if the minion is immune to it) so Drink the Blood of Ahriman would burn.

Revelation of Wrath

The damage is inflicted (even if the minion is immune to it) so you could use Revelation of Wrath to add corruption counters.

Prince of Paris, France
Last edit: 24 Mar 2021 17:21 by Ankha.

More
24 Mar 2021 18:38 - 24 Mar 2021 18:41 #101941 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic Damage Immunity

The rulebook will be updated.

Thanks for this, I appreciate the reply. These terms have been in the game for at least 25 years. It's odd to me that the rulebook has been heavily revised, but 25-year-old language still isn't defined and is causing interpretation issues among players (as evidenced by this thread; someone went as far as to look up immune in the dictionary and paste the definition). Seems simple enough to add formal in-game definitions for inflict and immune, and a note that older cards may misuse immune. I understand other things may have taken priority during revision, but, again, in my view, not much else would take priority than defining decades-old terms that have generated decades-old rulings.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2021 18:41 by TwoRazorReign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thiagotargino

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds