file modifier when announcing the action

04 Apr 2021 19:13 #101983 by efialto
Hi there,
Can you use a modifier that must be used when announcing the action if the modifier was drawn after replacing the action card itself? Eg. I play Govern the Unaligned and draw a Seduction as its replacement.

Another question: the contesting rules say that you cannot contest your own cards. If that somehow happens, the new copy is burned immediately. Does that mean that you can play a second copy that will be burned? Eg. if you want to replace an Information Highway at hand when you have another in play. That is, the 'you cannot' refers that you cannot at all, or that in that case the contest does not happen because of the automatic burn.

Thanks a lot!
Rodrigo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2021 20:32 #101984 by Yomyael
First question: I cannot find something to quote to back this up, but yes, you can.

The order is as follows: You play the action card, then the "as played" window happens (for cancelling cards), then you replace, then the action is anounced and you play cards "as the action is announced".

Second question: You are not allowed to play a card if you would contest it with yourself. Sometimes it might happen, that something forces you to place a unique card in play that you already control. Only in this case the rule to burn the second copy will apply.

Prince of Bonn, Germany
The following user(s) said Thank You: efialto

More
06 Apr 2021 08:52 #101991 by lip

Can you use a modifier that must be used when announcing the action if the modifier was drawn after replacing the action card itself? Eg. I play Govern the Unaligned and draw a Seduction as its replacement.

You can. The Codex rulings on Seduction should answer your question - and provide an official ruling for reference [ANK 20181208] :

Replace the action card (if any) before playing it.

If that does not sound clear enough, do not hesitate to suggest an alternate wording for this ruling.

Another question: the contesting rules say that you cannot contest your own cards. If that somehow happens, the new copy is burned immediately. Does that mean that you can play a second copy that will be burned?

No. I don't think the rulebook leaves that much space to interpretation. On contested cards it says:

You cannot control more than one of the same unique card at a time, and you cannot contest cards with yourself (if some effect would force you to contest a card with yourself, then you simply burn the incoming copy of the unique card).

It seems rather clear to me that you cannot think of "playing a card" as "some effect [that] would force you to contest a card with yourself".

More
06 Apr 2021 11:30 #101994 by Hobbesgoblin

It seems rather clear to me that you cannot think of "playing a card" as "some effect [that] would force you to contest a card with yourself".

I agree, and jsut want to give an example:

The action on Vast Wealth tries to equip the first equipment it can find in your library. If it cannot be legally palced on the vampire for any reason (like you woudl contest it with yourself, wich woudl contradict the rulebnook) it is burned without paying the cost.([TOM 19950407])

Another example is, when you gain control of a vampire with an unique equipment you were contesting with it's previous controller. (think Spirit Marionette/Corruption Shenanigans on a vampire with a bowl of convergience)

Playing the card does not force you to contest it, because you can choose not to play the card in the first place.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds