file Great Symposyum wording

22 May 2021 05:47 #102291 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Great Symposyum wording
Even more of an it than anything else... :D

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
23 May 2021 15:10 #102297 by TwoRazorReign

VTES use they/them as gender-neutral singular pronouns. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they . It is confusing, but was deemed as the best alternative. 

Okay, but let's not use that as an excuse for the confusing choice of words on the card. It could state "reveal the card". Yes, it's more characters, but those 4 extra characters are necessary. You could also save 2 characters by saying "move it" (ie, the card) later in the text. 

More
23 May 2021 15:54 #102298 by lip
Replied by lip on topic Great Symposyum wording
I do not think it was an excuse - more of an explanation. Ankha already admitted the change was indeed ambiguous, a year ago (link in the ruling, some posts ago).

More
23 May 2021 16:19 #102299 by TwoRazorReign

I do not think it was an excuse - more of an explanation. Ankha already admitted the change was indeed ambiguous, a year ago (link in the ruling, some posts ago).

Oh, stop it. All I see from those threads is simply an admission that the gender-specific pronoun leads to ambiguity. The ambiguity is avoidable in this case. Nobody admitted a mistake was made. Rather an excuse is being made here, with bad card text decisions being blamed on the large-scale adoption of gender-specific pronouns, which really didn't need to be incorporated on this specific card. 

More
25 May 2021 07:06 #102305 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Great Symposyum wording
I do not think it is a good idea to use a plural when it actually should've been singular form.

Hence "it".

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yomyael

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
25 May 2021 14:38 - 26 May 2021 05:52 #102313 by kschaefer
Replied by kschaefer on topic Great Symposyum wording

I do not think it is a good idea to use a plural when it actually should've been singular form.

Hence "it".

As a native English speaker, singular `they` has taken over.  I implicitly understand the difference in the same way I do the difference between singular and plural `you`.  The antecedent is singular, so you are using the singular `they` in this case.

That being said, I'm sure this lacks clarity for those whose second language is English.  As someone whose second language is very bad German, I can appreciate that confusion.  We should endeavor to clear up this card text, but I would avoid `it`.  `that vampire` is probably the cleanest.

Perhaps the real question is how do we petition BCP for language clean up on cards like this to avoid confusion in the future?
Last edit: 26 May 2021 05:52 by kschaefer. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: lip

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds