file Rescue from torpor with 1 blood and Coven

03 Jun 2021 03:07 #102370 by kschaefer
My famous, empty vampire is in torpor, my predator wants to rescue her.  His vampire (Karsh) has 1 blood and he has the Coven.  He attempts to rescue by saying Karsh will pay both.

I said that Karsh cannot attempt the action because he does not have the blood to attempt it.  Even though the Coven would give him blood, you cannot take actions that you cannot pay for.  I said that he needed to tap the Coven first, giving Karsh the blood to be able to attempt the action.

This is different than Karsh having 2 blood, playing Earth Control for stealth (leaving him at 1 blood).  The Coven could prevent the fizzle at that point because you had the ability to take the action in the first place.

So, can a 1-blood Karsh attempt the rescue from torpor action on an empty vampire?  If the Coven is in play?
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2021 07:23 - 03 Jun 2021 07:24 #102374 by Ankha

My famous, empty vampire is in torpor, my predator wants to rescue her.  His vampire (Karsh) has 1 blood and he has the Coven.  He attempts to rescue by saying Karsh will pay both.

I said that Karsh cannot attempt the action because he does not have the blood to attempt it.

Correct.

Even though the Coven would give him blood, you cannot take actions that you cannot pay for.  I said that he needed to tap the Coven first, giving Karsh the blood to be able to attempt the action.

Correct. The Coven cannot be used to pay the cost of an action, it only gives blood (which then can be used to pay the cost of an action).

This is different than Karsh having 2 blood, playing Earth Control for stealth (leaving him at 1 blood).  The Coven could prevent the fizzle at that point because you had the ability to take the action in the first place.

Correct: Karsh had enough blood when he announced the action. If he burns 1 blood but then regains enough blood to pay for the action before it resolves, all is fine.

So, can a 1-blood Karsh attempt the rescue from torpor action on an empty vampire?

No.

If the Coven is in play?

Only if you use it to give blood to Karsh before announcing the action.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 03 Jun 2021 07:24 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron, kschaefer

More
03 Jun 2021 14:20 #102382 by kschaefer
Thanks. Always good to get confirmation on table rulings that I'm part of.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds