file Heavens Gate New Wording

29 Apr 2022 14:14 #105111 by PaulCrowther
Heavens Gate has had a fairly significant re write at some stage which leaves me confused as to its intent.

The obeah version used to send the ally to the uncontrolled region where it would come back under your control at the end of the influence phase. Now it doesn’t, the ally is instead ready but unable to enter (or be involved in) combat, block or act.

It is the ‘cannot be involved in combat’ rule that I feel is not significantly clear. Is this to mean the ally cannot be entered into combat with by other minors for this phase and the opposing minion would not be allowed to play psyche for example?

This I feel like is the intent of the card as it puts e minion at the same kind of state they used to be when they were not actually ready, you cannot psyche an unready minion nor can you enter combat with them.

However it doesn’t state someone can’t enter combat with them, could they take that action and the combat would immediately end? Could a psyche be played?

Could these cards be played and the combat would end instantly as the ally is not allowed to be involved in the combat or is the opposing vampire just not allowed to play them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2022 15:16 - 29 Apr 2022 15:19 #105112 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Heavens Gate New Wording

Heavens Gate has had a fairly significant re write at some stage which leaves me confused as to its intent.

The obeah version used to send the ally to the uncontrolled region where it would come back under your control at the end of the influence phase. Now it doesn’t, the ally is instead ready but unable to enter (or be involved in) combat, block or act.

It is the ‘cannot be involved in combat’ rule that I feel is not significantly clear. Is this to mean the ally cannot be entered into combat with by other minors for this phase and the opposing minion would not be allowed to play psyche for example?

Correct: you are not allowed to play Psyche! because you can't enter combat with the ally anymore.

This I feel like is the intent of the card as it puts e minion at the same kind of state they used to be when they were not actually ready, you cannot psyche an unready minion nor can you enter combat with them.

Correct: one couldn't play Psyche! against a vampire going to torpor for instance.

However it doesn’t state someone can’t enter combat with them, could they take that action and the combat would immediately end? Could a psyche be played?

It does state that you can't enter combat with them.
Did you mean "if"? In that case, the question is moot anyway.

Could these cards be played and the combat would end instantly as the ally is not allowed to be involved in the combat or is the opposing vampire just not allowed to play them?

One thing is certain: you can't attempt to do things that are not allowed, such as trying to enter combat with a minion you cannot enter combat with.

Card text:

Name: Heaven's Gate
[LoB:C, POD:DTC]
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Obeah/Necromancy
Only usable by a ready unlocked vampire not involved in the combat.
[nec] Prevent 1 damage to an ally in combat.
[obe] Only usable if an ally would be burned in combat. Instead, add 1 life to that ally if they have no life, and they cannot enter (or be involved in) combat, perform actions, or block this turn; end combat.
[OBE] As [obe] above, but add 2 life if they have no life, not to exceed their starting life.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 29 Apr 2022 15:19 by Ankha.

More
29 Apr 2022 17:54 #105114 by PaulCrowther
Ah cool. I just thought ‘cannot be involved in combat’ was rather ambiguous. It doesn’t straight say ‘other minions cannot enter combat with this minion’.

Could be interpreted as only a limitation on that minion rather than other minions was my concern.

More
29 Apr 2022 18:21 #105117 by inm8
Replied by inm8 on topic Heavens Gate New Wording

Ah cool. I just thought ‘cannot be involved in combat’ was rather ambiguous. It doesn’t straight say ‘other minions cannot enter combat with this minion’.

Could be interpreted as only a limitation on that minion rather than other minions was my concern.

The key part of the text is "and they cannot enter ... combat" where "they" is the ally.
The text "(or be involved in)" is an attempt to make it clearer, but not really needed as the above covers it, that combat needs both combatants to be able to enter combat for a combat to happen...regardless of who initiates the entering combat.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds