question-circle Enkil Cog and Mask of a thousand faces

07 May 2022 11:02 #105201 by Oshi
I suspect the answer is going to be "No" but it's worth getting it in black and white.

Can a out-of-turn Enkil cog action be modified by Mask of a thousand faces?

Is being able act during the current turn part of being "capable of performing the action"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2022 12:25 #105203 by Legion
I think the card's text is pretty clear. If you have a ready, unlocked vampire who is other than the acting minion and who is capable of performing the action. the answer would be yes. In all other cases the answer is NOT.

More
07 May 2022 14:25 #105204 by inm8

I think the card's text is pretty clear. If you have a ready, unlocked vampire who is other than the acting minion and who is capable of performing the action. the answer would be yes. In all other cases the answer is NOT.

Correct, Enkil Cog provides an effects that could not have been used if the masking vampire were the acting vampire.

More
07 May 2022 23:30 #105205 by Hobbesgoblin
Folloup question, for more edgcecases: If there is a "Malkavian Madness network" in play, could a Malkavian (of the same controller) take over the action with mask of a thousand faces, of a minion acting via enkil cog?

More
08 May 2022 05:23 - 08 May 2022 05:26 #105207 by lip
Good question. These standing rulings make it tricky:

Cannot be used to mask an action if the masking vampire is not capable of taking that action, nor if any effect (modifier, reaction, {Aching Beauty}, inherent stealth), has been played on this action that could not have been played if the masking minion were the acting minion (not counting blood spent). [RTR 19980623] [RTR 20030519] [LSJ 20030520] [RTR 20041202]

I would say that locking Enkil Cog to be able to act is not "an effect played on this action that could not have been played if the masking vampire was acting", because it's locked before the action, and answer this with a yes, the Malkavian can take over. But this is, I think debatable - you could say Enkil Cog is an effect played on the action (and not transferable, since you need to be the vampire with Enkil Cog to use its effect), so no masking.
Last edit: 08 May 2022 05:26 by lip.

More
08 May 2022 07:29 #105208 by Oshi
If you wanted to be pedantic you could argue that no vampires are capable of performing an action while another vamp is acting. "able to currently act" as a condition would render mask non functional.
Im just saying that theres room for interpretation on what being "capable" means.

but the implication would be: madness network spreads to anyone with obf. for the health of the game perhaps rule against that.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds