file Can a minion play a card without enought blood when declares the action?

08 May 2023 10:47 #108018 by Coyote
I haven't seen any rule (maybe I didn't search enough) about if a minion can declare to play a card with a blood cost when he can't pay the cost at declaration time

I have found that the cost is paid when the action is successful. If it has no enough blood, it simply empties the vampire and the resolution fails.

Can a vampire play a card with not enough blood, expecting to get more blood during the action resolution before pay time?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2023 10:56 #108019 by inm8

Can a vampire play a card with not enough blood, expecting to get more blood during the action resolution before pay time?

No (rulebook reference below), one has to meet the requirements of playing the card to be able to play it, this includes having enough blood when announcing an effect (from either a card in play or a card from hand).

Rulebook:
A number in a red drop represents blood cost (the amount of blood the vampire must burn). Only a vampire with enough blood on them can play a card with a blood cost. A number in a white diamond with a skull represents pool cost (the amount of pool the Methuselah must burn). Only a Methuselah with enough pool can play a card with a pool cost.

More
08 May 2023 11:12 - 08 May 2023 11:15 #108021 by Coyote
ok. Thanks. I understand that cost is calculated at declaration time and cards like charisma are taken in account.

But in that case if a vampire wants to use a Ravnos Cache it needs to have enough blood to pay the card although if he later uses the Ravnos Cache

Warning: Spoiler!

Forget previous text. I re-read your answer and noticed "a card in play" reference

Also, Helena special ability I understand it is a cost reduction and can play reactions cards even without blood

And that include playing Kindred Coercion with a cost of 1,000,000 blood (and change votes of every vampire)

Thanks
Last edit: 08 May 2023 11:15 by Coyote.

More
08 May 2023 11:30 #108023 by Coyote
" (from either a card in play or a card from hand)."

This is tricky, Cards on your hand are not public.
It could be tricky if in the future we get an action modifier card that would say something like "add 1 blood if the action was unblocked" (now we have something close, but is after resolution of a successful action. Transfusion. If the text had been "add 1 blood after the action is successful" it could apply in this case)

Also, I am thinking about perfectionist. If I read correctly, this cards gives you 1 blood before pay time (it triggers immediately after being successful without reactions if I understand correctly).

Perfectionist would be taken in account to permit playing a card without enough blood?

Thanks.

More
08 May 2023 12:42 #108024 by inm8
I think you might be reading what I wrote incorrectly…

When playing any effect regardless if from a card in play or from a card in hand one has to fully announce how the cost is going to be paid where relevant and applicable discounts are to be taken into account, one cannot count on/use a future potential blood gain to meet a blood cost.

Hope this makes it clearer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coyote

More
08 May 2023 12:52 #108026 by Coyote
Yes. I was reading you incorrectly.

And if I understand you, a player only has to declare how the cost is going to be paid but only about cards being used and not "tokens" being used. I mean. You can declare you are going to use Ravnos cache, but you don't have to declare how many tokens from Ravnos cache you are going to use. You decide that at pay time. And you can even use zero counters from Ravnos Cache.

And just in case I am wrong, and maybe I am still misunderstanding something. Can you confirm that Helena can declare a 1.000.000 blood cost Kindred Coercion with 0 or whatever blood she has?

Thanks

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds